How to buy a boat

stuntman

If there is a post for this already I have not found it but if someone posts a Link I will follow it:

I have never bought a boat. i am a smart guy and know enough that I probably have "sucker" written on my forehead when it comes to buying a boat motor.

Can I get some advice?

Is it better to buy in the winter?

just a guy who does not want to end up getting reeled in,

Stuntman

well that depends on what u want and what your willing to spend.as for me i was 18 when i bought my boat and motor and my ol man helped.i didnt have a whole lot of cash so i was lookin for used.i went to every marina arounjd drove around cottage country and looked in boat trader.i bought my boat from a guy near rice lake.it needed a bit of work like fixing a few rivets and paint but it was in good shape i picked up a 16foot aluminum and trailer for a 1000 bucks.i found the motor a marina this is where my dad helped because hes a mechanic.i bought a 45 johnson that was only 6 yrs old at the time,got it for 2ooo.10yrs later and the boat still floats and the 45 is still running sweet.when buying check for obvious things like cracks in the hull or signs of abuse.with the motor same and get the person to start it for u or even better get a mechanic to look at it good luck on your search hope it all goes well for u.

Buy your last boat first, I mean get the one you want instead of stepping up every few years unless you buy them right and don't loose your shirt on each one. I figure the loss on each one = payments on the one you want.

If you don't hear the motor run and test drive it buy it as if your just getting the boat and the motor wasn't there.

Yep the motor has to be in water to run. Used is OK if you have an understanding of what you are looking at. Used from a good boat dealer is OK too because at least you have a warranty.

My first was used, it was OK. The second was from a dealer and they were really good with me and the motor was great! I loved it.

My present one was new when I bought it and so was the boat. I bought new because I got fed up with running around hells half acre looking at other peoples "gems." Drive for an hour with the understanding that what I was going to see was "mint." Almost everytime it was a disaster! If it was a deal or a fair bargain it would be gone by the time I could get there, or it would be sold right from under my nose.

If you know what you want and you can swing it buy new. Even if you have to drop a notch or two from your wish list new is always nice.

Oh yeah...buy an aluminum boat for long term durability and resale value.

If you are searching for a private deal for a used boat and motor in winter you will not find a very good selection. The dealers may have a deal to latch onto though. If you search the winter ads in Boat Trader or the classified ads you will not see too many for sale.

Happy shopping.

Edited by pikehunter

OK...do some motor research is on my list. I used to own a dirt bike and learned about engines with it.

I'd love a newer DFI model and think that is worth a few extra bucks, but thats not going to be a deal breaker.

Are there any motor models/makes to stay away from?

Stuntman

I bought my boat new in 2002, Princecraft pro162 with a 40 4 stroke Mercury. I visited 3 dealers since I wanted new, one dealer was not interested in my buisness, the other did not have what i was looking and the 3rd dealer was great. If you buy new any reliable dealer will be willing to take you out for a test drive. Not many people buy a 20000$ car with taking for a drive so why should a boat be different. The web is a awesome tool to compare prices and what not and for research on particular makes and models. As far as motor models and makes. I love the 4 strokes, fill it up check the dip stick once in a while and you a set. Good luck on your search.

Marc

What You Need to Know When Purchasing... AN ALUMINUM BOAT

QUESTIONS YOU SHOULD ASK...

HULL STRENGTH

How is the hull constructed?

How is the transom assembled?

# of bolts in the transom and what are they attached to?

Is there extra protection (twin plating) where the boat takes the most abuse?

Are the seams double riveted?

SAFETY

Does the boat have upright, level foam floatation?

How wide is the 'footprint’™ of the boat (part of the hull in the water) - the wider this is the more stable the boat will be.

WARRANTY

What type of warranty is available?

Specifically on the seams and plywood surfaces?

VALUE

What is the re-sale value like on this brand? Model?

FISHABILITY

What type of seats and seating arrangements are available?

What type of livewell system is provided?

Where are the livewells/baitwells (if applicable) located? Convenient?

What is the glove box like? How roomy is it?

Does the helm have room to mount electronics?

MAINTENANCE

What type of paint is used on the exterior of the boat?

Can you get vinyl floor options for easy maintenance?

INDUSTRY TERMS...

BEAM

Measurement of the widest part of the boat. Measured from the top of one gunwale to the other.

GUNWALE

The upper edge of the boat.

LENGTH

The total length of the boat. Generally measured from the tip of the bow across the top of the boat to the end of the transom.

MAXIMUM HORSEPOWER

This is the maximum horsepower that the boat has been rated for by the Canadian and the U.S. Coast Guard.

FOOTPRINT

A boat’s footprint is its width at the waterline. Make sure you check this feature out, the boat you are considering may have a wide beam but a very narrow footprint!

TRANSOM

This is the back end of the boat where the motor is mounted.

HULL

The hull is the structural framework of the boat. Make sure you ask about and understand the hull construction method. This will play a big role in determining the longevity and safety of your boat.

Hope this helps its from the Lund Website.

MTP

thanks for the post Mike the Pike.

Every time I see one of those Lund boats I think they they are the best things on the water.....one of those cant go wrong with companies.

Then I look at the price tags...not that I wouldn't buy one...just cant afford it...lol

Lunds is one of the names I am keeping my eyes peeled for.

Stuntman

Stuntman it depends on your budget.I have a Lund but its not fancy.Its a bare bones Aluminium 18.5ft with a 50 Honda 4 stroke with power trim and flat floor inserts.I bought a demo model almost new from the dealer low payments.I can tell you this boat is built solid you don't have to pay alot to own a Lund.It depends on what you want.I will add the live well and binimi top later.

Good Luck with your purchase.

MTP

Stuntman it depends on your budget.I have a Lund but its not fancy.Its a bare bones Aluminium 18.5ft with a 50 Honda 4 stroke with power trim and flat floor inserts.I bought a demo model almost new from the dealer low payments.I can tell you this boat is built solid you don't have to pay alot to own a Lund.It depends on what you want.I will add the live well and binimi top later.

Good Luck with your purchase.

MTP

... and here's your hat Mr. Loser... er.... uh... I mean Mr. Lund owner.

loser.jpg

... and here's your hat Mr. Loser... er.... uh... I mean Mr. Lund owner.

loser.jpg

Glen the guy who designed that hat should be fired.If your real nice you may be allowed to fish in one of our Lunds In Quinte thats if you can handle the mild weather :whistling:

Its time to catch a big Wall-Ice In November.

It seems to me that I heard they are going to do away with 2-stroke engines sometime in the future.

Has anybody heard this also??

TS I have been hearing this for 10 years.Now that Bombardier makes the new Evinrude E-Tech 2 stroke which has low emissions I woudn't count on it.I have heard alot of great things about these E-Techs.

Time will tell.

MTP

I did come across a v14 (or was it a t14v?)

Yep, nothing wrong with that. Actually all the basic tinnys are good these days. Remember rows of rivets (double is better) beam and depth are important factors. Once you start looking around you will find that some have a split tiller seat which is a nice feature as it gives you some room to move around.

Also if you are considering a 14' get a price on the same model in a 16'. Should only be a couple of hundred dollars more and there is more room and you will also gain because of the higher weight capacity the 16 offers.

Lund, Lowe, Alumacraft, Crestliner, PolarKraft, Starcraft, Smokercraft are all good brands. Compare prices, features, what is included in the price and what the hidden charges are and the dealers attitude is important.

Evinrude motors are E-Tech if over 40 hp. 40 and under are Johnsons and available in a 4 stroke which is a Suzuki painted white . Johnsons 2 Strokes could still be available in the under 40.

Nissan outboards are at the bottom end of the price structure and the smaller Mercurys are made by Nissan (Well at least they were a couple of years ago.)

Edited by pikehunter