Found a way to create Garmin Depth Charts

jedimaster

Well, not sure if this is legal or not. I would assume it's legal since no real "hacker" type tools were created. I found a way to create depth charts and be able to turn them into Garmin Image files and then upload them to my GPS.

It took me about 20 minutes to create the image file for the west half of Scugog and uplaod to my Etrex Legend.

I am very happy about this. If you have a Garmin unit and are semi decent with a mouse and a computer its not really that hard. This is a completly undocumented way to do it. No gimmicks or any crap like that. You can just create your maps and upload them. I was even able to fix a road that was wrong and add a few other things like parks, gas stations, docks, marshes etc...

Its very cool.

I can't wait to get a bit more time to play with it. If anyone is interested in finding out how, I would like to create a bit of a team of a few people so we can work together to rebuild the Garmin Blue Charts and distribute it for free. If your interested let me know. :clapping::thumbsup_anim:

Need to use a couple of tools. cGPS Mapper can convert an MP to an IMG, but the hard was to get the base maps overlayed with the depth chart details. As I am sure everyone with a garmin knows you can download the Depth charts but can't upload them to your unit. I only fish a handful of lakes so once I have the lakes I fish plotted I am good to go. :)

The actual Map creation part is a bit comlicated and can get screwed up and mess up the base map. Learned the hard way.

What I would need everyone to do is use Mapsource and draw route lines to mark the depth contours and email me the route lines. Make the name of the route the depth of that contour line. Then I will edit the route markers onto at topographic map and post the img file. You can then use a program(free download) to upload the customized map to your own gps.

How you get the route lines to match up with the contour lines I will leave that up to your imagination. Wink Wink... Nudge Nudge.....www<dot>torrentreactor<dot>net

Edited by jedimaster