canoeing/kayaking in the dark?

ricoboxing

with waterfowl season around the corner, i plan on taking my kayak before sunrise. i can't seem to get a clear answer on what lights are required on a non powered vessel that is less than 5 meters. I would think that I need a green/red light at the bow, and a white one on the stern.

Or can i only use a headlamp?

I just looked into this for our canoe and we decided on the green/red light for the bow and the white one on the stern. Here's what the transport Canada site says... (http://www.tc.gc.ca/MarineSafety/TP/TP511/..._kayaks_less_6m)

Pleasure craft propelled by oars and pleasure craft 8 m (26'3") or less in length within sight of navigational marks do not require a compass.

Canoes, kayaks, rowboats and rowing shells less than 6 m (19'8") in length ^

A sound-signalling device or a sound-signalling appliance

Navigation lights that meet the applicable standards set out in the Collision Regulations if the pleasure craft is operated after sunset and before sunrise or in periods of restricted visibility

Now...going to the collision regulations...it says.... (http://www.tc.gc.ca/acts-regulations/GENER...a014/csa14.html)

© In vessels of less than 12 metres in length:

--a masthead light, 2 miles,

--a sidelight, 1 mile,

--a sternlight, 2 miles,

--a towing light, 2 miles,

--a white, red, green or yellow all-round light, 2 miles.

After talking about it on the board, I decided on the lights that you mentioned....

Here's the link to the other thread....as many chimed in....

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.p...pic=9817&hl=

I would say that's what you need......whether legally or not. During fowling season I would also have a 12 mli CP halogen beam off the bow. Seriously...it's more a matter of courtesy. They stay away from me when I'm fishing so I stay well away from them during their season. If I want to fish, I'll go out at other times than Daybreak or sunset. Just my opinion.

Irregardless of what you require. If your goign to be out on the water in the dark, you should have a green and red bow light and a white stern light. It is extremely dangerous not to. I often boat at night fishing for walleye and I can't say how invisble you will be to a powered boat going at any rate of speed. That goes for any boat a 12 foot aluminum or a 23 foot cuddy. Make sure your lights work, and are ON even if your anchored. ESPECIALLY if your anchored.

Help save your own life and get the lights.

As for what exactly is required. See the following page...You should note that it states kayaks, canoes and rowboats are classed as pleasure craft and are required to have navigational lights if they are going to be operated in low light or night conditions.

The only acception seems to be if your within sight of navigational markers you don't require a compass.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/TP/TP511/boat.htm

I'll only take the kayak out at night if I'm on a lake that doesn't allow gas powered boats. I did a night fish at Guelph lake once and put my 12 bulb LED flashlight on the floor of the kayak between my knees. When it was turned on it looked like I was in a chinese lantern. You could see me for miles.

if it was me, beside putting lights on the kayak i would also attach a whistle to my life vest and bring a small waterproof flashlight as well maybe waterproof matches if i can find room on my vest to attach them. If the kayak tipped and got away from me at least i would have some safety stuff with me to grab someones attention and maybe make a fire if i had to. Ok i know maybe a little over board but i have heard of people getting hypethemia in august from being in the water to long.

Cheers!