Gordon Pittock cons. area report

jediangler

Took my kayak to Gordon Pittock conservation area in Woodstock today. It is only 50km from home but I only ever fished there once. It was 10 yrs ago and we fished right above the dam in Woodstock. Today I put in at 11am at the other end of the lake. Took a few minutes to locate a suitable launch for the kayak, as well as a parking spot for the car. A very pea green algae bloom was in full effect so I started off rather sceptical. I knew the lake contained pike and bass as well as perch so I started off with a jig & grub combo. It was cool and drizzling on and off so I put on the raincoat. While casting near shore cover I got a hit and set the hook on this good sized carp. I was surprised that it was hooked inside the mouth as I have snagged carp in the past with jigs.

131039.jpg

I kept at it until 2pm with no other action to report. Saw 2 other boats and one shore fisherman in those 3 hrs. Looks like a spot that I should try in the spring around pike opener. Explored a bit and saw some wildlife. It's really cool how close you can get to animals in a kayak. I guess they don't perceive you as a threat. While exploring I used my camera mount to shoot a video self portrait in the kayak. When I got home and downloaded it, I find that it doesn't record with sound. It's a cheap kodak so I'm not surprised. I had to break out the iMovie and add my voice and some sound effects to it. It is my first video and my first sound editting done on my iMac so it's no "Action Angling" episode :) It is 3.5 minutes long and can be viewed here.

This carp didn't pull me very far, rather he just kept pulling me in circles. I bet I did about 4 complete donuts before he tired out. Has anyone had any decent luck at this conservation area in the past? I still feel that in the spring it might be a better bet. I'm sure that the academy will be in touch soon to tell me my film has been nominated in the short film category. I will remember to thank the OFC community in my acceptance speech :)