Trolling Motor Problem??

Loonietoon

Was busy charging up batteries for the bow mount, when I looked under the foot peddle I found some power wires melted.. Have two batteries hooked red to red & black to black... power to the bowmount is hooked from 1 battery only... on main line from plug connector found Red & Black melted together.. now only have power at constant speed.. motor is a Motor Guide 45 lbs.. Any suggestions please :dunno::worthy:

Edited by Loonietoon

I hate to say it, and I might be wrong... but it sounds like you've somehow fried it. The most probable cause, is the power was inadvertently turned on while the motor was in the stowed position... and is the reason you should unplug it after every use. I went one step further and installed a 50 amp circuit breaker between the battery and my motor, now i just flick the little switch and all power is killed to the trolling moter... lots easier than jiggling the plug in and out.

I hope this helps.

There could be a few things that caused this. Dirt and mosture is one. But also a loose connection creates minute sparks which creates a lot of heat. I had to fix my main plug in as it was loose while travelling in the boat and the plug would heat up.

Roger

I fried my MotorGuide cable steer motor a couple months ago by accidentaly engaging the constant-on switch while throwing the boat cover on. The cover also sits on the prop and prevented it from turning and caused the motor to burn out.

I now unplug the motor whenever I'm charging the batteries or covering the boat, thanks to a very good suggestion from Misfish.

I just wish the advice had come $600 sooner :oops: