Sandbanks report

kennyman

Well,last week we were camping at Sandbanks and we had a blast. Great beaches and swimming. I wish I had a real boat because the alternative was fishing in the river,which was okay but I sure would've liked getting out on East Lake. We tried with our canoe, but it was just too windy and we were getting blown all over the place. In the river on the way there my wife caught a few perch on Gulp orange/brown grubs. My twelve year old daughter got a smallish bass (just less than a pound) on the same and I got one slightly bigger on a blue fox vibrax spinner that I put on after she caught the perch ........ it was the #111 brass perch patterned (match the available food source). We then moved to another spot and the kids caught some panfish while I was trying for a pike (saw a smaller one caught the day before not too far away) .... but to no avail. The next day I got up early in the morning and while everyone was sleeping I headed down to the river by myself where I caught this guy on a heddon topwater popper just on the edge of some lily pads. Slow retrieve ...... glump ........glump ......bang .......fish on !!! I love topwater. There's nothing quite like it to get the adrenaline going. Anyway here's proof that I caught a fish LOL.

resized_bucketmouth.jpg

resized_bucket_2.jpg

Ahhh Sandbanks and East Lake. Many fond memories there in the old days - chicks and fish. There used to be healthy numbers of fair sized pike and walleye in East Lake. (Caught a 5.2 lb walleye there once). Next time get that canoe out early in the am or in the evening. Also try a few casts in the river going by Martens Campground (if its still there). Got a few good sized pike in there over the years .

I was at Sandbanks about a week ago too and fishing the channel as well but got skunked. I've never seen it so shallow and choked with weeds before, at least that I can remember. I saw a dead pike on the bank so that gave me some encouragement; I'm actually going back tomorrow for a few days so maybe this time I'll try the canoe.