I'm looking for a store (Toronto - downtown)

Kanubis

. . . . . . and IF you don't find what you're looking for there, Lebarons has a well stocked store up on Woodbine Avenue, just south of #7 Highway. If you're coming in from the west, Fishing World in Hamilton has a HUGE selection of everything, they're at Barton & Centenial, or, last but not least, Gagnon's on Park Street in Oshawa. Although I buy most of my stuff at Lebarons, I generally take a run to Hamilton a couple times a year to 'browse, and since I'm driving right past Gagnons as I fish out east a lot, I get a lotta odds & ends there. All 3 are large, well stocked stores. Fishing Depot up on Ronson Drive (Martin grove & #401 by the airport) also likely has the best array of musky gear I've ever seen . . . good service too. So . . . . if Al can't quite 'fix you up,' SOME of these guys can! BUT . . . . Al's store is the ONLY one close to downtown, Lebarons & Fishing Depot are within 20 minutes of downtown, the other 2 . . a half hour east & an hour west!

Edited by Photoz

Hey Robert

We do carry the ABU line but dont carry the REVO's anymore, I had 6 in the store and 3 came back defective, so we decided not to have again...

I believe LE BArons in Markham has them and also Fish Online may have them.....

Good luck

Dave

Robert, this is just my opinion, Abu seems to have a lot of quality issues with new reels. The old ones seemed bullet proof(60`s-70`s maybe the C-3`s). Some of the later models seemed to have repeated problems and didn`t stay in production long.

I have a lot of older Abu reels but would be leary of buying one of their new models until it had been around awhile. It seems the Revo series was designed and priced to compete with? say the Shimano Curado? Just seems odd the issues with some of their reels, in the 60`s and 70`s Abu pretty much owned the high end freshwater reel market.

Robert, what will the reel be used for? Most reels of the same model come in a range of sizes and retrieve ratios. A model number like a 100,1000 usually denotes a smaller reel, 200 a midsize, good all around reel, maybe not suited for bigger fish, eg., muskie, salmon.

Most of the guys I fished with used old style Shimano Curados, dependable reels with few or any issues. They redesigned the curado last year I believe, I haven`t heard of any issues with the new model, price went up, comparable to the high end revo. Most use the 200R/H-201LH.

Like cars a matter of preference on the brand, and usage it is intended for on size and gear ratio. Faster retrieve reels eg., 7 to1 are usually intended for burning a buzzbait or spiinerbait, slower ones for cranking deep diving lures, crankbaits, slow rolling a spinnerbait deep.

I don`t need any more reels, I got enough to take me out the door, if I was going to buy an all purpose reel? a Shimano 201L/H around 6 to 1 gear ratio. Just what I consider a good all around reel, lots of opinions on different brands though.

House brands like BPS, Cabela`s? No experience with them, and I don`t know many people that buy them.

You will get some more opinions, that was just mine, all my baitcastera are older Abu`s or older Shimano`s.

Hi,

there is only one issue: a curado reel is definitely more expensive here than in my country (like 25% with tax). Probably, i'll buy it after I return, but right now it's just not profitable; therefore, i want to to buy something else (I thought about daiwa viento). Actually, I'm very surprised at your opinions about Abu. After I read those positive reviews, I thought that this is a good reel.

I usually use crankbaits (I retrieve baits very slowly) and chase basses, pikes, perches and few other species.

Thanks

Edited by Robert B.

Robert, I bought my first Abu reel when I was like 13, a 1750 used nothing but Abu baitcasters, 5000`s, 5001`s, 6000`s, Ultra Mag XL`s, also bought some models that had issues right out of the box and a short sales life. Usually a good reel is sold a long time with no problems, I used my 5001c`s for 20-25 years.

LOL got an Ultra cast sitting in the barn short lived model with a reason for it.