Just confirmed my trip to Pigeon in early Sept.

markiemark70

I am going to a lodge on the north end of Pigeon on Sept, 7 8 9 weekend. oing with the wife and baby as well as another couple, so not strictly fishing, but wifey knows that morning and evening happy hour is fishing time, so I will get some good fishing in for sure.

I have fished Sturgeon for the last 2 summers, and have recently been hearing that Pigeon is better esp for Musky. Well I have yet to tangle with one of those, and would love to give it a try.

My question for you guys is, if you could have one Musky bait that you would not go out without, what would it be? I have a bucktail, but thats all i know.

Also any tips on specific to the lake would be appreciated.

Hope to have a good report when I get back.

Thanks for that. I just thought of another question I have: Since I will be with a pretty novice fisherman, and I myself have never caught a Muskie, any special gear I will need to handle it? I would rather not need to bring all kinds of extra stuff, but any tips would be great. I always have my pliers, so what would you recommend in terms of getting the fish off with just pliers (without losing a few fingers!)

a pen style net (ie. beckman or frabill)

hook cutters (knipex makes a great pair, but you can get away with a pair of large Crappy Tire cutters)

long nose pliers

it's not a cheap sport to get into.

jaw spredders( approx $2.99) to hold the mouth open incase the fish is hooked deep,needle nose pliers. I personally like spinner baits as they have single hooks and are usually easy to remove.

Edited by mikeh

Well my dilemma is that even though I would like to catch a Muskie, I do not specifically target them, thus I am not prepared to deal with them. I know my friend on Sturgeon has caught a few skies while trolling or jigging for walleye, so I know it is always a possibility on kawartha lakes. At the same time, I am trying to simplify my fishing gear, as I am mostly a shore fisherman. When I say simplify, I mean that I am now at 3 rods and 2 tackle boxes. So adding a whole lot of gear "in case" i happen upon a muskie kinda bums me out. What s the Icouldget away with having.

I noticed that someone said hook cutters. Is that so that you can cut the hook and leave it in the fish if neccesary? Is it true that that is sometimes the best thing to do? I have heard that the fish will live with a hook in thier mouth, but not too sure I believe it. A few weeks ago I was fishing some pretty pristine win the Sudbury area. I was trying my new baitcasting combo, and when I cast, my line got tangled around the spool, so my Senko was on the bottom for about 10 seconds. When I went to reel in, there was a 1 lb smallie on there, and i guess because I was not paying attention to the line, he was hooked too deep to remove the hook. Remembering what I had been told by an oldtimer (the hook will just "fall out" one day) I cut the line and let the fish go.

Was this right or wrong?

Cutting the hooks allows you release the fish that much quicker - the less time it takes you to release the less chance you or the fish will get hurt. In some instances the fish will swallow your lure or be hooked in such a way (ie. jaw wired shut) that makes it impossible to free it without doing serious damage. Snip. Get the lure out of the way. Once the hook is cut it is very easy to remove the remaining bits out of the fish.

Lures with single hooks like mikeh mentioned help a lot when compared to trebles. Some people also go barbless on their hooks... and yeah dont forget the jaw spreaders.

you should also look into using a good quality line eg. power pro braid no less than 65 lbsand a good quality leader. nothing worse than leaving a fish swimming witha lure in its mouth. when you cut the hooks it makes it easier to pull them out backwards. Try and keep the fish in the water for your release. No verticle holds make sure you support thebellie of the fish.good luck I know its a lot to take in but you and the fish will be happier in the long run. Good luck

A landing glove will be cheaper and easier to pack in the boat than a net will be. Just tail the fish boatside and remove the hooks with the fish still in the water. If you already fish for walleye, don't change a thing, other than a wire leader and maybe stronger line. Just troll around in 12' of water near weeds and the musky will find YOU.