Computer Guys I Need Help

mason05

Hey guys,

I own a Toshiba laptop that's about one year old. I have it hooked up to my stereo and the volume is really low even when I crank the stereo receiver. In my mind this should not be. I have it hooked up via the headphone jack from the laptop to rca's in the receiver. There are no outputs on the back for speakers as it has an internal set. Do I need to download a driver to up the output level? Is there a usb to rca cable that would help for my connection? This is driving me mad as I have tons of mp3's that deserve better than what the laptop speakers can do. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance,

Corn Nug

Open up your sound control in windows. Make sure that the "wave" setting is up for playing mp3s and stuff on your puter. Make sure that "CD" setting is up for playing CDs.....give that a try...it's easy sometimes to forget that...also make sure that none of them are muted and that the play control is up.

You shouldn't need a driver....the laptop is basically a pre-amp to your stereo...the stereo should be amplifying the sound.

Good luck!

Edited by ccmtcanada

Yup, what ccmtcanada said, as it should be no problem. Have done it at work many, many times. I take a small amp(10 watt) to our board of governors retreat every year, and no problems for media files off of the laptops.

Only other problem may be the input you plugged it into on your amp, some have db padding, but not many, usually only the industrial amplifiers/mixers.

And they would have potentiometers on the back for adjusting input levels beside each input.