Minnkota Power Drive Problem.....Help.

Sherriff

The other day when I went out fishing I had charged up the boat batteries for the entire night before. I have a 3 bank charger. The charger said I was fully charged and it was in Float mode (all batteries fully charged). When I launched the boat I checked the battery gauge on the trolling motor unit. Was only 1/2 charged. Thought one battery in the 24 volt system was shot.

After charging the system the entire day today I checked and now the battery gauge on the Minnkota is reading 3/4 but the 3 bank charger was back on Float mode. I then tried my tester and all my two deep cycle batteries are full 12 volts each as well as my cranking battery.

So, I think I am right in assuming that the Minnkota gauge is screwed. Any other thoughts or similar experiences??

Thanks

Sherriff

Guest lundboy

Check your terminal connectors on the motor to battery wires. Make sure they are clean (to bare metal) no oxidation, also check to be sure there is no corrosion on the cable where the connectors are crimped on the wires or that they aren't loose. And also make sure battery terminals are nice and clean.

The meter in the minn kota estimates the amperage available and a bit of oxidation on the connections will easily change this reading. I have a digital meter on my MK Genesis that changes with the setting on the speed dial in the foot peddle, e.g. if I set the dial to 50% the meter says I have about 14hrs when the batteries are fresh, if it's at 10% it says I have 35 hrs. Don't know if that is the same with a new power drive.

If the above does not solve the problem, double check the batteries or the charger first. See if you can borrow a charger from someone, or pick up a new one (Good marine one only) from CTC for "testing".

My batteries after a (right after a full charge) show 13.2+ volts. After sitting a week without using they show 12.8 volts.

Never know though, it could be the Minn Kota meter.

A volt test on batteries is not a true test.

weird I pressed enter for new line and it posted. <_<

A load test will tell you if the batteries are good.

you could have 5 amps and still have 12 volts.

A fresh charge batteries should be around 13.2 volts.

To do a load test. crank the engine over with out it being able to start.

If the voltage drops be low 10 volts you have a bad battery.

On a trolling motor. Place you meter on the batteries, turn motor on full.

if the voltage drops fast you have a bad batteries.

One thing else to remember. When batteries are hook up in parallel or

series. the batteries are only as strong as the weakest one.

Edited by Tybo

I would take the Batt's out, and get them load tested at Can tire.( should be a free test.)

And as said b4 make sure all your connection are clean.Then after you get it figured out.Hook the Batt's back up, and coat them with vasiline. This will stop all future connection probs.

I've stopped checking the batteries using the monitor on the trolling motor. I don't think it is very reliable. I've experienced the same thing as you. The gauge says the batteries aren't fully charged (even tho they just came off the charger),yet I can still get a good day of use out of my batteries. Andy

Edited by Andy

I don't trust my power guage on my power drive one bit. I know my batteries are good.....tested them.....and sometimes the guage on the TM says full.....sometimes it says good.....sometimes it says low......so who knows.....

Its worth it to get them load tested though.......its free....:).....then you'll know for sure.

Sinker

Thanks for all the advice.

Well, turns out it is one of the batteries. I picked up a digi volt meter and after a full night on the 3 bank charger, the cranking battery is showing 13.something, one deep cycle is 13. something and the other deep cycle is showing 11 ish. So this one must be the problem.....

Will look for the receipt. Should still be under warranty.....

Thanks

Sherriff

Will look for the receipt. Should still be under warranty.....

The trick i use for finding them, is when I buy a new Batt.I stick a packing slip ( zip lock bag with glue) on the new Batt, and when I need it it's there.

I just had to trade in a old batt, under Warry. Good thing I had the receipt. :thumbsup_anim: