red squirrel lake road

tedley

Hi. Plan on going to Red Squirrel Lake road(Temagami) on Labour Day weekend. Taking a car, 12ft. aluminum, and trailer, never been before.

Wondering if any one can tell me what to expect , as far as the road, boat launching, fishing.

Thanks Ted

for a bush road its pretty good, and wide, lots of lumber trucks on it. Lots of cool scenic areas, access to different areas of lake temagami such as the N. Arm, and of course red squirrel lake, which has a large camp ground and you should have no problems launching. When I say camp ground, its more like a large gravel pit. I know that doesn't sound overly romantic, but its still nice, because your right by the lake. Bring your topo, or google the area, I am sure there are some good back woods lakes as well.

Not sure if road access is restricted, but if you're able, Aston Lake and Eagle Lake off the Red Squirrel Rd. are both great lakes. Good walleye, pike and smallmouth.

Even if you can't drive right to the lake if it's not far you may be able to wheel your boat in....

I was that way a few years back and you are right on Red Squirrel (in an old pit) as Tackle Buster said.

If you continue up the road, you will arrive to a gate blocking access further east.

Before the gate there is a walking access to Ferguson Bay.

This part of road & parking is....., but I have seen plenty of canoes, it is about a 500+/- Ft walk to lake.

The beach is amazing here.

Enjoy

You can't get to Aston, because its gated off, not motorized vehicles beyond the gate. However once you are at the gate you can actually see Temagami, and before you arrive at the gate there is another small rd which leads to a large summer camp for kids which is also on Temagami. You can't drive all the way down to the camp, you have to park and then walk for about 1km. If you want to get to Temagami you are better off portaging a canoe. As far as Eagle Lake or Little Eagle lake is concerned you are again better off with a canoe.

Edited by Tackle Buster