Noob: Going to Silent Lake

Artem

Hello everyone, I am new to these boards and I have been reading quite a bit of the back logs. I have fished when I was younger and now have picked it up again and I love it. It is so relaxing and makes you really enjoy life and Canada's beautiful wilderness.

As the post says I am planning an excursion to Silent Lake for 2 days (Tuesday>Wednesday) and I have a few questions.

1) How much does it cost to rent a canoe for two days there?

2) How is the fishing this time of year there?

3) What kind of bait should I bring?

4) What is the best time to leave Toronto to get there for good fishing?

5) Any tips/suggestions welcome : D

I am hoping to get a Kayak in the next year or so or maybe even build one for myself. Also my line is set up Float>Sinkers>Hook w/ bait. I was wondering if there are any lures/jigs(??) or something else that I need.

Edited by Artem

Welcome to the board Artem, I can't help you with your questions, but I think if you look a page or two back you'll find a couple of post specific to Silent Lake that will answer a couple of them.

Have a great trip and don't forget, we like pictures :D

Maureen

Hello everyone, I am new to these boards and I have been reading quite a bit of the back logs. I have fished when I was younger and now have picked it up again and I love it. It is so relaxing and makes you really enjoy life and Canada's beautiful wilderness.

As the post says I am planning an excursion to Silent Lake for 2 days (Tuesday>Wednesday) and I have a few questions.

1) How much does it cost to rent a canoe for two days there?

2) How is the fishing this time of year there?

3) What kind of bait should I bring?

4) What is the best time to leave Toronto to get there for good fishing?

5) Any tips/suggestions welcome : D

I am hoping to get a Kayak in the next year or so or maybe even build one for myself. Also my line is set up Float>Sinkers>Hook w/ bait. I was wondering if there are any lures/jigs(??) or something else that I need.

Hello, I too am new to this board, so hello everyone

I was at Silent Lake couple of days ago so I think I can answer couple of questions for you.

1) For 24 hours, I think its 25$ + deposit.

2) For us, we went for a day trip. We arrived around...11ish, and I ended up catching one small small mouth bass. We canoed all over the lake but did not end up catching anything during the day. However, after 6ish, we caught couple of larger small mouth bass.

3) We were just using spoons.... I had little little cleos left over from last year and that worked fine.

4) I think the park opens from 8..

5) Go near the day use area beach... when you are facing the day use area beach, go west and there are couple of bay like areas with bunch of fallen trees.

Have fun & enjoy.

-young

Welcome to the board. Take a look at my recent report from Silent Lake.

I rented a canoe for 6 hours at a cost of $15 + $20 refundable deposit - includes all safety equipment.

I generally rented the canoe from about 10 till 4pm - it is possible to catch fish at this time - though they tend to be small smallmouth bass, largemouth bass and the odd pumpkinseed sunfish. I also did some fishing from shore in the evening but still caught small fish.

I used a float with worms or microtubes and tended to fish shorelines with broken rock and fallen trees.

While it is mainly small fish - they must have parents! Maybe other baits and lures would work for the bigger fish in the right places but they didn't work for me so I just stuck with the fun of non-stop fishing with worms for the smaller bass.

Good luck and post a report when you get back!