Little Doe Lake this weekend!

glirw

Heading up to algonquin to do some interior camping with people from work . Been waiting for this since november as I've never been up there, but it should be very nice .

We're gonna be setting up camp on Little Doe lake, and so I am wondering about what kind of fish we can expect to catch from a canoe and/or from shore ?

Are we going to be wasting our time up there this time of year without downriggers ?

Edited by grilw

not sure about doe lake in particular but a lot of the algonquin lakes have populations of smallies in them. you should be able to catch them in your canoe. the trout, you're going to need riggers or still fish (jig) for them.

Sounds like Little Doe next to Katrine. Haven't fished there but 3-Mile lake nearby is a fine lake. Plenty of smallies and a few Walleye. We would work any of the well marked shoals and the best luck came trolling anything over a 10' weed flat. Trolled topwaters and small shallow shad-raps with great success- especially in mid to late August.

Little Doe has smallies, pike, pickerel, whitefish and panfish. We've done well there but I hear its tough fishing lately. Although it did take us about 4 years to figure the lake out and where the fish are.

You won't need downriggers for Little Doe if that's where you're talking about for downrigging, its not that deep of a lake.

Joey

Just so you don't get confused the Algonquin 'Little Doe lake' has tons of little smallmouth bass and some trout deeper.

There are a few 'little doe lakes' in Ontario, the algonquin one only has bass and trout.

I've launched from Canoe lake once 20 yrs. ago and ran into smallmouth. Sometimes ive put on small spooons

or spinners and canoed around 'trolling' and caught small trout early in the morning during the summer in different lakes.

Otherwise just follow the quote below.

not sure about doe lake in particular but a lot of the algonquin lakes have populations of smallies in them. you should be able to catch them in your canoe. the trout, you're going to need riggers or still fish (jig) for them.

Good luck,

ehg