Summer Shore Fishing

seanb27

Hello Everyone,

I am a beginer fisherman who has recently been bitten by the fishing bug. I dont have a boat so I have been fishing from the shore in some of the areas around Toronto. I have tried Bluffers Park, Grenadier Pond, and Heart Lake. I have tried mornings and evenings. I have tried lures and live bait. Nothing seems to work. I am begining to think that the summer season is just not that good for shore fishing in the Toronto area.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sean.

Welcome to the board Sean! Fellow shore angler here :) Can't speak for the areas you mentioned but I can say that fishing in some of my favorite holes has been tough lately. One of the toughest parts of being a shore angler.....you have to wait for the fish to come to you. There are things that you can do to improve your odds. Structure.....find it and fish it, this can be just about anything in the water.....docks, trees etc. Read the water to find the depth changes and drop offs...fish those areas if you can. Weed lines are also good areas to try. It can take time to find the areas and techniques that will produce for you......stick to it and you will get into some fish. Started back into fishing late last August, was out many times a week and was basically skunked (not counting panfish) until the 14th of October. Best of luck to you!!!

Bly

If you take up River Fishing in terms of chasing Salmon (September-November) and or Trout (October-April) which are migratory, the Humber River, Rouge, Duffins, Credit and great rivers in the GTA. If your determined on catching green and yellow fish, take a ferry ride to Toronto Island for Pike and Bass or try around Ontario Place.

Good luck

You got to narrow it down to what kinda fish you are after then prepare yourself with the right lures or tools for that fish and look for locations where that fish might be. Habitat. I have found alot of places with different species of fish in one pond or lake altogether. Narrow down your species your after.

dsn

Welcome to the board Sean you've come to the right place. As for fishing in Toronto I've never done it myslef but there are plenty here who have. I did a quick search and found plenty of reports from those who call it home :)

Here is one of them

I'm sure it won't be long before we're reading one from you :D Just don't forget your camera

Maureen

Hi Sean. Welcome to the board. Plenty of us fishermen/women in Toronto trying our luck from shore for everything that swims from little sunfish to fat carp to monster pike. Lots of different species to catch, if you know where to find them.

Thanks Maureen for posting my last report - it gives a good idea of just how many species there are at somewhere like the Toronto Islands. Grenadier Pond also has many of the same species too. Sometimes as a shore angler you have to work for the fish though - walking around a lot until you find fish that are willing to bite. It is especially difficult during summer because lots of good spots have boats moored or other anglers already there!

I would definitely suggest starting by fishing with a float and a worm or even half a worm. You should catch sunfish, perch and maybe a largemouth bass with a worm close to weeds, with the bait off the bottom. If I'm not catching any other species I will use this technique - almost never fails to make sure I avoid being skunked (not catching). Once you get more confident try some different baits and lures to catch some big predators or try carp fishing with sweetcorn fished on the bottom.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on. :Gonefishing:

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I was really starting to get fustrated. I always do try the worm and a bobber, and i do catch the rare pan fish that way.

I have always enjoyed fishing but usually only get to go once a year when the family rents a cottage for a week.

This year I became addicted after a great week of catching small mouths on crystal lake just north of Bobcaygon. Several around 15 and 16 inches. I couldnt wait another year to get my fishing fix.

I started doing research on the Toronto area fishing holes and found the list put out by the ministry. I have hit 3 or 4 of these spots with no luck. The shore line is often lined with other fishmen/ women, but i never see anyone catching anything. I figgered the fishing would be tough due to the extreme fishing pressure these urban locations are under, but i didn't think it would be this tough. These fish must have seen every lure under the sun.

I guess my next attempt will have to be the Toronto Islands. Seems like the best bet.

I cant lie though, even though i havnt caught much, i have enjoyed every minute.

Sean

If you go to Centre Island and use spinners like Blue Fox Silver/FireTiger #2,3 r 4 or Mepps Black Fury Spinners #2,3 or 4. w/or without tail. You are almost sure to catch some Pike. The last time I was there I got a nice one. I didnt measure or scale it but, holding it up it was from my head almost to my knees and Im 6foot tall. That one I caught with the Black Furry Red dotted Spinner w/red tail spinner lure.

My fav spot there is right in front of the entrace to the kiddy rides where the restaurant is.. from there, walk to the water. There you will see a set of rafters which may look like a building/washroom from the back. Just fish right in front of there. I found it to be a hot spot and there arent too many people walking by and there is lots of room.

As well, you have seats right there to relax where people cant see you. Just make sure you have your fishing lisence cause the cops boat by all the time. Ive never been asked but, just in case you know.

Also, if you want to spend the $$.... get the paddle boat rental and paddle out and test your luck. you can get out into the water in front of those rafters and down a bit... you will have good luck.

cheers