Tube Lures

supernaut

Hey tubes are pretty good for bass actually, but if smaller you will catch rockbass and perch and the occasional sunfish.

Clear dark green has been a very hot color for me this summer.

I recommend putting it on a 1/8oz jig, with the head of the jig's color contrasting that of the tube. You can also use splitshot weights. I find the technique is to start with a quicker retrieve and work your way slower if theres no active fish. In this case let the tube drop and then reel in sorta like fishin with worms or twister tails.

Regards

It depends entirely for the most part on the water you are fishing. In water that doesn`t have much junk in it like wood or weeds a tube jig insert or even a jig head will work, you just slide them in.

For waters with junk(slop), weeds, wood, tex-posed is your best bet just far less snags,far less time clearing weeds off, the hook is covered. You can also carolina rig or drop shot them.

If you have ever seen a minnow or crawfish darting around the bottom when spooked, it is the action I try to present. A lot of different things you can do with them and they will draw strikes from a lot of different species.

I internally weight 3.5 inch Bass Pro tender tubes with 1/4 ounce tender tube jig heads. I use to use 1/8 ounce jig heads mainly, but find that I can work the tube faster with the heavier weight, and it works better in the wind. I leave around 1/8 inch of air in the tip, and do not run the jig head all the way in. The tube should come back nearly straight at you on a steady retrieve when testing the running of it. Running true like that will give a "walk-the-dog" back and forth motion underwater. If the tubes runs in circles, adjust the skirt on the hook, or pull off the offending misaligned skirt portions.

I use 14 pound (or heavier), 12 inch fluorocarbon leader tied to a barrel swivel, to decrease pike/musky bite offs and decrease line twisting. I use stren 8 LB. hi-vis gold for the rest of the line. I "pop the slack" to give an irratic motion to the tube, with the rod held around the 10-11 o'clock position, going to the 1100-1200 o'clock position. I work it near or on the bottom. I crush barbs.

If you hang up on rocks, open your bail (spinning), hold the line with one hand, pull back on the rod, and let the line pop off your grip. This will about 80% of the time pop the lure back off the rock.

Colors are rootbeer, watermelon, shad, and whatever you have confidence in.

Good luck,

Don

TbayBoy,

You are welcome. I fish them most of time here in TN and KY on KY Lake and Lake Barkley. I love them in Ontario and Michigan. I fish them in current and rapids also, reeling fast to keep up with the slack, giving a mild pull every 2-4 seconds. In slow current just pop the slack. Works great.

Good luck fishing with them,

Don

supernaut, the reel is sort of adjusted to the conditions for me, I don`t use braid so a spinning reel is a light line reel for me. Usually 8-10 pound test, heavier line on the baitcasters, but I have 10 on a couple of them. More open water I go with a spinning reel and lighter line, more junk in the water heavier line. Just depends on what you are comfortable using.

Tubes are great lures, I don`t go fishing without them, but a tool there are days when other lures will out fish them.