Question for Tube users

ADC

I was just wondering how often the Tube users out there change their Tubes?

Do you use the same one all day (if not damaged/eaten) or do you change them up more frequently?

Im curious to know how long the scent lasts or if that is only part of it?

cheers

On one of Bob Izumi's (I think) early shows he put a piece of spoonge inside the tube and put the scent in, he said it last longer. He also put a bit of alka-selzer in the tube to make it bubbly. I personal never try it...don't know if it works better or not.

On one of Bob Izumi's (I think) early shows he put a piece of spoonge inside the tube and put the scent in, he said it last longer. He also put a bit of alka-selzer in the tube to make it bubbly. I personal never try it...don't know if it works better or not.

That sounds like a pretty good idea.

The only problem is... Im more of a spinner guy so I dont have all the scents etc. on hand.

I just have a bag of Power Bait Tubes and to be honest.. I have not had much luck with them and only pull them out if the weeds are too crazy for the spinners.

I was just curious to know how long the scent on these things would last.

Should I change them up after 2 hours in the water? or does the scent last all day?

would leaving the pack out in the sun all day ruin or taint the scent?

Colour is probably more important then scent. Scent will close the deal when a fish actually gets close enough to the bait because it sees it and perceives the tube as food. A Bass' sense of smell is not as developed as a Trout or Salmon. Try a rattle inside one.

When I am fishing tubes I usually have a few different colors rigged up, like Ranger mentioned I think color is more important than scent. I will go with a dark green, like green pumpkin a lighter green like watermelon blue glitter, and mix in a white with silver glitter.

The ones I get are mostly garlic scent and salt impregnated. and I have hundreds. I have had days where they are busting them pretty hard and a couple fish tears them up, other days when one can last a long time.

A lot of different tricks you can play with them, like mentioned the rattles, alka seltzer, a piece of foam like the ear plugs they use in some factories, slid a grub on the hook to give it a different look on the tail, cut the tenacles off and tie some maribou to a jig insert and slide it in.

Seen guys put canned fish cat food in them for scent, a lot of different deals with them.

I keep using the same ones (different colors) over and over until all the tenacles get chewed off or the tube gets split...heating up with a lighter seals them back up ok... :whistling:

I sometimes squeeze some garlic flavored petroleum jelly inside the tube if fishing is slow...

Guest Johnny Bass

I never use scent and catch alot of smallies. I usually fish for smallies in clear lakes so scent is unnecessary.I have used beaten up tube jigs with most tentacles missing and still catch fish.Although colours do play a factor, I'd say if you arent catching fish, it is usually due to you being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Or do not have the right presentation. Sometimes You have to drag the tube, hop,glide, ect..

If you are fishing weedy bottom I would suggest a very light jig. I usually use tubes on shoals, rocks and gravel though.

I like to fire some scent up the inside of the tube-more out of habit/confidence booster than anything else...if it works, keep going with it. I also tend to quite often use 4" tubes rigged Texas style ("Texposed") on a 4/0 hook-no extra weight. This works great for working heavy cover and can also be fished like a jerkbait (I call it a glide bait the way it moves) at weedlines, drop-offs and flats. One place where applying scent does come in handy is if you're going to fish the tube on a jig-the scent inside the tube makes it real easy to slide the jig head in.