Kipawa question

Bcee

A buddy of mine goes to Kipawa a few times a year. He says the fishing is ok. I know he does not fish hard..and thats ok. What are your experiences with this lake just across the Quebec line by North Bay?

I went there end of June 2004. Fishing was OK, good amount of eating size walleye, but they were not easy to catch. We did not see any trophies, but caught a few very large pike fishing for waleyes, and the lakers were fun using downriggers. Usually enough to eat a few good shore lunches.

It is a big lake. We stayed at Alwaki Lodge in their remote camp. We plan on going back some day.

My group has been going up to Lake Kipawa since 2000 and we leave on Friday for our 8th trip to this lake.

I'll say this...we've seen many, many walleyes and several trophies come out of Kipawa. Personally, I fish for numbers versus size and throw every one back. Others I know fish for big 'eyes and get them 10 lbs.+ all the time.

Contrary to what Another said, we find fishing on Kipawa to be very easy. There are mornings you can go out and catch 25+ walleyes each guy in a couple of hours...same in the evenings. Nothing huge (1-2 lbs.), but fun none the less. You can get bigger if you troll, but I prefer jigging. I personally caught a nice 8 lb. laker while walleye fishing, and a buddy of mine caught a 12+ lb. laker still fishing 50 meters from the lodge. We've also caught 35"+ pike on cranks and spinners.

It's fast action...and a lot of fun. The best thing is you can fish all day, everyday for any species. No weeds to worry about, just a good drop-off and shoal pattern. And the scenery...breathtaking.

We kept searching all over Ontario including the Kawarthas (Pigeon, Buckhorn, Stoney, Rice), eastern Ontario (Crotch), North Bay area (Nosbonsing), Chapleau (Wabitongushi, Dog)...and found this lake in 2000 and have never looked back.

I can't wait...only 3-more days and a wake-up.

We stay at Alwaki Lodge now. We stayed at Corbeau Lodge (was shortly renamed Eunice Lodge after the owner's wife passed away) for a few years, but it has since been sold privately to Eric Lindros and is no longer an option in that area of the lake. Which is nice, as Alwaki is the only lodge within 4-5 miles and you basically have a large, fertile part of the lake to yourself.

We tried Taggart Bay Lodge in the NE arm of the lake, but found the fishing up there to be marginal at best. I know 3 Seasons does a good business, and the fishing seems to be pretty good around there.

Anyway, here's a link to Alwaki Lodge, and a link to an informaiton repository for the area. Read the discussion board on www.kipawa.net for recent trip reports and somewhat objective information regarding camps and lodges.

www.alwakilodge.com

www.kipawa.com

I have been a number of times at different resorts. Stayed in Corbeu once, wow that is sad, very nice people. No wonder the brochures stopped coming. Also stayed at 3 seasons. Again a great operator. Always caught fish but no different then other places. Sometimes it was great and others not so much. You realy need to know the lake or get local help or else it is tough to fish. Lots of water and it all looks the same. It is a big deep lake which makes navigation with a small 9.9 hp rental tough. Most resorts offer portage opportunities for Pike and those have been good but very tough to get into, especially in the summer with all the mosquitos. Best of luck.