Brook Trout in Algonquin Park - Big Crow Lake

Jigster

Hello All! Heading out on a last-minute trip to Algonquin from Sunday to Wednesday. I know there's plenty of smallmouth in the park, but I've just gotta try to catch my first Algonquin brookie!! I've been advised by Algonquin Outfitters to head to Big Crow Lake (north of Opeongo) and to try the Crow River since the trout may be easier to catch in there... As well I'll be bringing both the fly rod and spinning gear. I still have time to reorganize myself based on valuable OFC advice so if anyone can help me that would be great!

Yrs

Shnaggs

Camp at the site just north of the rivermouth on Little Crow and paddle down to the first portage. There are lots of brookies near the logjam. Also try out the campsite as you round the point on Proulx Lake. Haven't been there in a number of years but they always seemed to have fish in those spots.

jjcanoe

Wow thats terrific jjcanoe. Did you mean to camp right on Little crow or to camp on Big Crow (think you meant Big Crow cause that would make sense). Also we're planning on setting up base camp on Big Crow and doing day trips for brookies into the crow river. Is there brook trout potential in the whole river/worth doing the portages to get in there? And as for the Proulx lake fishin (and for fishin the Big Crow lake as well), is it necessary to rig up the 3-way swivel action with a heavy sinker or can we simply use jigs/spoons/spinners without weight to get to the fish. Your advice is truly, truly appreciated my friend and I hope to post a report upon my return. Thx Schnaggs

Solopaddler! I must give you my report on the Kenogami River which you helped me out on! (hint - was a real eye-opener - thanks again for your help)... What about all those portages on the crow heading to lavaque? sounds interesting but not sure if the gfriend will be up for it (unless the fishing is waaaay better).... and are the brookies holding in the crow river itself this time of year (thats what I'm hoping for so i can cast the fly rod) or is there better luck trolling the lakes? Schnaggs

Second lake you come to after Proulx L.( I don't have my map nearby) The frist stretch btween Proulx and big Crow is shallow and winding and not gnerally worth your time to fish, same as the narrows between big and little Crow. I agree with SoloPaddler, the further you get into the system the better the fishing gets. Try trolling spoons, spinners or jigging black, Purple or smoke coloured tubes or twister tails for best results.

jjcanoe

Solopaddler! I must give you my report on the Kenogami River which you helped me out on! (hint - was a real eye-opener - thanks again for your help)... What about all those portages on the crow heading to lavaque? sounds interesting but not sure if the gfriend will be up for it (unless the fishing is waaaay better).... and are the brookies holding in the crow river itself this time of year (thats what I'm hoping for so i can cast the fly rod) or is there better luck trolling the lakes? Schnaggs

Hey bud, glad to hear your Kenogami trip went well. I'd love to hear how you did!

The portages on that part of the Crow are all short and super easy. I've never fished it in the summer, but they're river bred fish and they'll be in there year round. May even be easier to fish in the lower water of summer as they'd be more concentrated.

I mostly flyfish when there myself. If you're a flyfisherman you will LOVE that river! (on a side note, the river is teeming with stoneflies).

Generally I camp right at the old logging dam at the outlet on Lavielle, and do day trips down and then back up to fish the river. Doing this gives the flexibility of paddling out and fishing the lake as well.

In the summer if you don't have wire line you can still catch laker and spec's in the lake. A fairly stiff rod loaded with 10lb braid rigged with a 3 way rig (Wolf River Rig). Mainline is tied to one eye of a 3-way swivel. The dropper is a 10-12" piece of mono with a heavy (1-3oz) bell sinker on the end.

Tie a 3 to 6' mono lead off the 3rd swivel and attach your lure. For that kind of trolling I love small floating rapalas. Believe it or not the perch finish is very deadly in Lavielle for trout, as well as blue/silver.

Both brook trout and especially lakers will be deep that time of year. The park sells a book that contains depth maps of a bunch of lakes including Lavielle and is very useful.

If this a trip you might consider the easiest access is a water taxi up to east arm of Opeongo, then utilizing a cart (which you can rent) pull your canoe and all your gear into Dickson lake. It's a long way, but trust me it's not that bad.

Once you're on Dickson there's one tiny, easy portage and you're on Lavielle...

Good luck!

• 2 years later...