question for the canoe/kayak guys

ricoboxing

If the lake was long, narrow, and deep l would be out their in 45k winds but if its like lake O today no way. Every time out in a small craft you are assessing the conditions at least 3 times an hour. for example l was about 1km of shore in Lake O in a canoe. But as the conditions changed we started to get closser to shore and eventualy pulled the canoe out of the water because it was to dangerous that and a fish took 150yrs of my line (not to self bring more line)

you can stay on the canoe in pretty high winds as long as your positioning yourself WITH the waves. but obviously, if you have to concentrate more on the waves then the fishing, its probably a good call to find a quiet bay. also depends on the type of canoe and how many people are in it. it just takes one guy to keep his center of balance to high in those conditions to flip it, happens to us all though. doesnt it?? haha

Last Saturday I went and fished the Grand River. Glen Morris to Paris in a Canoe. Me and my buddy.

I dont know what the wind speed was but it was pretty windy (medium) and than rainy.

All I can say is we were unable to stay put at the sweet spots and every time some rapids came up we were schitting our pants cause the wind would take us right towards the river rocks. We almost flipped about 20 times and this isnt exactly a crazy rapid river either.

I could only imagine how bad it would be if the wind was stronger.

I say canoe + wind = find a spot from shore to fish or risk losing your gear to the water gods! hahahah

WE were discussing raising a monument to Lief Erikson, not the viking but the idiot kayaker that burner down a cottage on Main Duck Is. because he didn't have any flares when his group got into trouble crossing LO.

Granted it wasn't much of a cottage but when your stuck on the island for a few days it was a castle.

Last Saturday I went and fished the Grand River. Glen Morris to Paris in a Canoe. Me and my buddy.

I dont know what the wind speed was but it was pretty windy (medium) and than rainy.

All I can say is we were unable to stay put at the sweet spots and every time some rapids came up we were schitting our pants cause the wind would take us right towards the river rocks. We almost flipped about 20 times and this isnt exactly a crazy rapid river either.

I could only imagine how bad it would be if the wind was stronger.

I say canoe + wind = find a spot from shore to fish or risk losing your gear to the water gods! hahahah

Not to hijack this thread but how did you do with the fishing? Catch anything? On what? I love that trip. Let me know. Thanks,Ken.

i use a homemade anchor when i go out on my canoe ... with those big 3.7L orange juice bottles, put sand in it and tie it to a rope ... i think alot of rental boat uses those as well.

works fine and it's cheap ... only thing is that you might need 2 of those when the wind gets stronger. it's much safer to get back to shore if the wind gets too crazy though ...