Walleye on Rice Lake

ozaibak1

Hello all, I am hoping I'll finally catch a walleye this weekend, unfortunately its gonna be at Rice Lake one of my least favorites and I've had little luck there.

From what I've heard, fishing 15-20ft of water off the south shores of the lake should produce some, I will be starting out at Bewdley on a cheap rental boat with no trolling motor.

I am considering using minnows on a regular hook, spinners tipped with worms, spinners tipped with minnows. Do I have the right approach? Or would you recommend anything else, I'm most comfortable fishing soft plastics would these work?

Thx for any help.

worm harness silver or gold blade and a bottom bouncer real slow troll

believe it or not small crome flatfish

Just looked at the above link thats where you want to be around the islands too(bewdley)

Edited by BITEME

Guest Johnny Bass

Great article Ranger!I have never had big pickeral numbers on Rice. Once I watched a guy rip jigging and was catching one after another. He was just drifting and ripping. Not sure they if were all pickeral but sure looked like it.

Great article Ranger!I have never had big pickeral numbers on Rice. Once I watched a guy rip jigging and was catching one after another. He was just drifting and ripping. Not sure they if were all pickeral but sure looked like it.

I've targeted walleye several times on Rice and at least for me rippin' a bucktail jig through the weeds (not so much edges, but big weedy flats 10-15' deep) has been BY FAR the most productive technique.

It's kinda hard to get the technique down, somewhat similar to working a jerkbait back to the boat.

I like a short, stiff spinning rod and 10lb mono when fishing this way...

Probably any quality bucktail will work, but these are the ones I use, with black/green/white colour being especially effective on Rice.

bucktailjigallcolors2.jpg