Wading for Bass.

Mike Pike

Ok, I haven't posted in a while 'cuz I couldn't quite figure out how to post full-size pics since the board was upgraded. Anyhoo, thanks Rick! So, now I got a little catching up to do.

A couple of weeks ago, I went off to the Grand River downstream of Caledonia to wade the river for some Bass. The morning was pretty warm and the skies blue.

gallery_35_299_30223.jpg

I threw on the waders and rigged up my rod with a small slip foat and stared to drift the pools and runs with crawlers. Although I didn't manage to catch any giants that morning, I did hook into a bunch of 10 to 12 inch Smallies which the river is famous for.

gallery_35_299_32365.jpg

Standing waist deep in a pool with a Smallmouth on the end or your line jumping at eye level gives you a feeling of hand-to-hand combat. lol They use the current to their advantage and I can't imagine a more fun way to spend a morning.

gallery_35_299_49873.jpg

I was joined by another couple of anglers who took their place on the river near me. I watched one of the fellows catch a release a nice 4lb (?) Catfish and I was a bit envious.

gallery_35_299_10565.jpg

Plenty of fish to keep it interesting including Smallmouth, one Sucker and, of course, plenty of 'The World's Greatest Sportfish!'

gallery_35_299_54885.jpg

I think the best part of the outing was when I hooked into the walleye, though. It only measured a foot but it was the first walleye I had caught in several years on the Grand, so it was a welcomed sight on the end of my line.

gallery_35_299_3470.jpg

Well, certainly no bruisers on this day but a good morning on the river, none the less.

Cheers!

Thanks everyone. And Buck, I think we have some board members who can take a bow for the improving walleye fishery in the river.

And I will shoot ya a PM next time Nauti. We'll run into each other one of these times cuz I love fishing down your way in Dover too.

Cheers!