Mooneye fish in HUmber river?

gforce

We caught what I thought was a mooneye in the Humber river this weekend... ( actually snagged it in the eye... it died ).

It was football shaped and about 6 inches long. Silver and very irridesent.

Anyone catch one of these?

Mooneye_WebPage.jpg

Edited by g-force

I caught one that was about 12 inches in Lake St. Clair before. Didn't know what it was until a couple of years later. If my scanner wasn't broke I'd scan it so I could post it.

Edited by Zib

I have caught several in the Grand River by Wilkes Dam. Also caught a fairly big one in BOQ one summer, probably just over a pound. Thought it was a rainbow at first with all the jumping it did. I found there tongue to be interesting, they have 2 teeth on them, qutie cool.

Edited by Hooked

I fish for them in the Grand River in area of Caledonia and downstream. A terrific fish and fun to catch on light tackle. Pretty co-operative when other fish aren't. Almost remind me of a small Jack, if anyone's done any pier fishing in Florida.

Some flyfishers enjoy hooking into 'em as well, cuz they're pretty fun on flygear. Mooneye can be quite willing combatants when other fish aren't so they're popular for flyfishing casting practice.

G-Force, I can vouch for your "catch" of a Mooneye at that location. There is a regular group of locals that fish the mouth of the Humber each year when the salmon are staging in late August through September and I have personally witnessed at least a few mooneye (definitely not alewife) snagged on spoons etc.

G-Force, I can vouch for your "catch" of a Mooneye at that location. There is a regular group of locals that fish the mouth of the Humber each year when the salmon are staging in late August through September and I have personally witnessed at least a few mooneye (definitely not alewife) snagged on spoons etc.