Bleeding Walleye

dustink

THis is best done when you first catch the fish. Cut out the throat and place the fish head down into ice. THis chills and bleeds the fish. Any fish that you want to eat should be dispatched immediately for the best tasting results. According to some, fish in a livewell have increasing levels of lactic acid build up and can have more resultant bitter taste. I don't know if I've ever noticed the difference, however.

Actually, we do it as soon as we decided we are going to keep 'em. Slit the throat, drop 'em in the "dead well" and your good to go! Just remember to clean out the dead well before you go out again as the blood does stink if left for a while!

HH

for walleyes i usually just snap the knecks & then put on ice or in cold water after pictures have been taken

for softer fleshed fish like trout or salmon, I remove the gills & slit the throat

- actually most of the time while im trout/salmon trolling, if there is a few minutes between fish being caught, i'll quickly clean them on board - belly slit open, head, blood & entrails removed, a quick rinse in the lake and now i dont have to clean fish when i get home :thumbsup_anim: in the fridge/freezer or straight on the BBQ