Lady Evelyn Lake Report

wmshaw

I would like to thank everyone for the suggestions and fishing spots.   On August 24, my fishing partner John and drove up to Haileybury Beach Motel.   The travel time from Scarborough including stops took about 7 hours.  I would not recommend this motel.

The bathroom had mould and the floor under the bed looked like it had never been cleaned in months  My dog came out coated in dust from going under there. 

The next morning we had breakfast and headed over to Mowat Landing to launch the boat.   The launch there was very good but the parking area above was very crowded.  We got the boat launched and headed over to the dam where there the dock was located.  We then waited for the trailer to take us over the dam.  It took about 5 minutes to get us from the dam to the Lake.   If you have rods in vertical rod holders, take them down in advance as some of the rods found the tree branches and luckily none got broken!   The fee for the trailer service was $40 (cash only) and was payable on the way out.  The owner, Mike, of Red Pine Lodge met us at the top of the dam and guided us to the lodge where we stayed in the cabin known as the "Waterfront Condo".

The cabin was extremely clean and had everything in it that was described on the website.

Mike then gave us a detailed coloured map with fishing spots and areas to avoid (rocks, shoals and shallow areas).   Mike also came to our cabin each day to give us a heads up on the fishing and checked on whether or not we needed any bait.

The fishing for the first 3 days was excellent.  We caught pike, walleye and smallmouth bass.  We enjoyed a couple of walleye dinners in our cabin.   On the fourth day, we had a major storm and stayed in the cabin.   The fishing was tough for the next few days and we caught a few walleyes and smallmouth.   The majority of the walleyes we caught were eaters.  We did not get any in the slot.

Just a note, the MNR are on this lake and decided to check my boat. They have a camp on the lake.   I was about 10 feet away from docking using my Minn Kota and they came in at extreme speed almost raming my boat.   The lodge was not happy with them as the waves moved all of their boats and they had to retie some of them.  The MNR did a thorough check for safety equipment including checking my flashlight and confirming I had a usable fire extinguisher on board.  Other than almost ramming my boat, they were decent guys.   I just do not understand why could not have let me dock and then check the boat.

What worked on this lake was live bait (worms and minnows) on orange, green, pink and white jigs.   We did not have much success with trolling lures.   Most of the fishing spots are within a mile of the lodge.  We would see boats from the other lodges come up to some of the jigging spots in the area around Red Pine.   The owner, Mike, noted that the fishing there was best in the spring.  

Overall, we had a great trip.   I would highly recommend Red Pine Lodge.   My fishing partner and I will be coming back next year.

• Like 1