Valens kayak report

jediangler

A couple of buddies and I decided to go to Valens conservation area for the evening bite tonight. They had a Sportspal canoe and I had my trusty yak. With the weather changing we hoped we would really slay 'em. We put into the water at 6:30pm and fished until 9pm. I started out throwing a 1/16oz jig & grub in chartruese and caught 3 crappie and 3 bluegill in the first 1/2 hour. The crappie were all under 9" but one of the bluegills was photo worthy.

128971.jpg

The boys caught 3 pike, the biggest was 24". They also caught 2 largemouth, one 13" and one 14". They were using texas rigged wooly beavertails and bitsy jigs with power craw trailers. I caught the big bass of the evening at around 8pm on a white tube and 3/8oz jig. It was 17.5" and very healthy.

128972.jpg

Would have liked to spend a little more time out there on the water. It was so nice with only two other boats fishing on the lake.

The Burns memorial fishing derby is this Saturday July 14th at Valens and is a great derby for the kids as well as the competitive bass & pike anglers. I noticed that they have 4 tandem sit-on-top kayaks for rent now. They are Malibu two kayaks from Ocean Kayak and look like a lot of fun. Maybe I'll try one out next time.

Hey bro nice work for an evening out. The bridge is ok for some small panfish but if you really want to find some decent fishing I would suggest a row bow rental or a canoe or try out a yak. If you have an electric trolling motor bring it but the lake isn't that big that you can't row or paddle around. Good luck to all who fish the derby this weekend and Tiger if ya go.

Thanks all :)

It's not that difficult Phishy.

It's all in how close to the camera you can hold the fish Bill, but it did feel bigger when I set the hook.

No net needed danw, not much room for one anyway.

Joonmoon's right Tiger, it's best fished with a boat. They have 12' tins as well as canoes and kayaks.