Saugeen River fishing

Hi, so we are renting a cottage this summer in Sauble Beach and the Saugeen River mouth only like a 12 minute drive from where we are. I know there is lots of shore access there. It's a mixed bag there right? Bass to perch to muskie?? I have a bass baitcasting rig, a light spinning rig and a muskie rig. Do I bring it all?? Thanks for any advice you can give 

Smallmouth in the river below Sauble Falls. Upstream even better Bass and some small Pike, especially in the feeder lakes (which also have LM) to the north. If you have a canoe or kayak, a float trip down the Rankin R. (trib of Sauble R.) can be very rewarding.

Musky in the middle section of the Saugeen is your closest best bet (again a float trip will get you to the best spots). SMB throughout, and some big Cats in the lower river.

Edited by CrowMan
  • Like 2

Muskie habitat in the 'Geen is the exact opposite of where you'd fish steelhead.  Dead slow frog water, find a big tree in the water, good bet you'll find a muskie.  Bass are prolific. 

Edited by BillM
  • Like 3

My youngest daughters favorite fishing hole for fair weather fishing. We used to drift from the ramp area to the mouth in the summer catching a mixed bag of bass, pickerel, sheep head and cats. Upper Saugeen can provide muskie, pike, bass, bows, browns, speks and I've come across jet black bows in the past. Not sure what thats about.

Used to have a good run of skamania in the summer but I havent seen one in some time. 

There are access points all over the Saugeen. Stop in at Thorncrest Outfitters for info. Canoes and kayaks are the only way to travel the upper. I think there's about 150kms of river not including the endless nameless tributaries.

Edited by slwndwn
  • Like 1