Nipigon Stayover

Big Butthead

Return trip home and will be stopping in Nipigon.  This is my retirement trip, ticking off some items from my bucket list.  Left Saskatchewan August 28 with the missus, camping gear and the fishing boat hooked up and headed to the Ottawa River with stops in Sioux Narrows (3 days), Rainbow Falls (4 days), St-Joseph Island (4 days) and Killbear Prov. Park (4 days).

Return trip plan is the missus is flying back (grandkids are missing their Nana) and I do the treck back by myself.  Planning on staying in Nipigon 3 to 4 days to fish the Nipigon River.  Planning to arrive on Friday the 29th, leaving the following Tuesday or Wednesday.  Not sure where to start.  

Where best to launch my boat.  I have a 20’ StarCraft Fishmaster and launching it by myself requires the launch having a dock.  Does launching from the Nipigon marina and heading up river from there a viable option?  Any hazards I should be aware of?

I’m open to suggestions.  Open to the idea of someone local to join me on the river for a day or two in return for an invitation to come fishing some of our great Saskatchewan waters.

I can't answer any of your questions about the Nipigon River but I have one for you. I had a cousin who lived on St, Joseph Island in a little place called Hilton Beach. I always wondered what the fishing is like there. I have fished a couple of times near the bridge that crosses over to the island. Where did you fish and how did you do? Good luck and have a safe trip home!!!!

I stayed in Nipigon with my family in 2022. Unfortunately I wasn't able to escape them while there to do any serious fishing.

I did speak with the guy who owns this place and he was very forthcoming with information so I recommend you contact him.

https://nipigonriver.com/

He also has a fishing guide from 2021 you can download for free that covers the area or buy the updated one for $19.99

(he told me there was very minimal changes from 2021 and the 2021 edition would be just as useful).

Check the regulations as I think brook trout is already closed in the Nipigon River.

3 minutes ago, Big Butthead said:

Thank you. Will check it out. 
I thought brook trout was closed also, but reading regulations, I can’t see it being closed. I’ll make sure to check with locals. 
thanks again. 

It's in the exceptions for FMZ 6.   Look under waterbodys (Specifically for Lake Nipigon)

We fished the Nipigon River 2 weeks ago. There's a great launch with a dock right in the town of Nipigon at the mouth of the river. Another decent launch (but no dock) just below Alexander Falls Dam at the top end...pretty shallow though for a 20 footer. 15km of  fishable water between the two...the river runs plenty deep and most rocks are pretty obvious. Be vigilant and not too cocky and you'll be fine. We had a 20 footer too...no problem putting in at the town dock and running up river.

Plenty of Chinooks and Pinks around....even got one Steelie, but struck out on Coasters (Brookies)...as mentioned they're closed now. Also, some spots are sanctuaries..like Gapen's Pool at the Trans-Canada hwy where the world record Brookie was caught in 1917. Read the regs thoroughly.

Some other species were in to feed on the Salmon run too. Got a little surprise when this 44"  snotty shovelhead bit my spinner...it coughed up a 3lb Pink when flopping in the net...

IMG_23281.jpg

• Like 3

Looks like a great time out and a nice catch to close out.  Information on the river itself is what I was looking for, so your heads up is much appreciated.  Cockiness has left my DNA for quite a while now, safety is always at the forefront.  I fish the Churchill river with major rapids.  Sounds like the Nipigon at this time of the year is a very manageable body of water.  

Good portion of my time of the water is exploring and learning.  

Three more sleeps before I get there.  Excitement is starting to creep in.

I thank you for your feedback.

I'm just re-reading your post. I get the impression that you're fishing alone ? Re-thinking our time on that water, that may be an issue. Although mostly deep water, the current is fairly steady and often powerful. There were 3 of us, so 2 would fish, but one of us would always have their hands on the wheel with the boat under power...even when drifting to make course corrections. Not sure how that would work when you're by yourself. There are slower pools where you could drift and cast..specifically right below the dam. 

Not sure how you feel about fishing moving water solo. It's like fishing the lower Niagara...although deep, the current is relentless...and personally I would always go out with a buddy...but that's me. But if you're experienced and comfortable fishing moving water...

Of course, you can also just fish the mouth and bay below town. We saw several boats doing just that with success.

Anyway...FireTiger J-13 for the Chinooks...and Hot Pink Blue Fox spinner or Rainbow Trout Little Cleo for the Pinks worked for us..

2 hours ago, CrowMan said:

I'm just re-reading your post. I get the impression that you're fishing alone ? Re-thinking our time on that water, that may be an issue. Although mostly deep water, the current is fairly steady and often powerful. There were 3 of us, so 2 would fish, but one of us would always have their hands on the wheel with the boat …

Thanks for the heads-up.  I’ll assess the condition and plan accordingly.  Always have a plan B.  The alternates you suggest will be taken into consideration.

Thank again.