Gloucester Pool Report

Guest Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

Decided to go fishing saturday. We decided to drive up and stop at whatever lake. No plans. My buddy wanted to go to somewhere that had the possibility of catching a monster. He wanted to go to Chandos. I told him that most pike are deep on Chandos at this time of year(at least I think). I told him Georgian bay, Honey harbour, Muskoka or Gloucester pool. He picked Gloucester pool. Too bad he didn't tell me earlier. I have a cheesy map for the place.

Gloucester pool fishing has always been slow( lucky if we catch 10-15 decent fish a day). But I think the lake has great potential.

We launched and fished little lake for a bit. Got a decent pike on a grub, and my buddy gets a bite off using the same. After that it was nothing but rockbass. Wherever we went? Rock bass. Even in gloucester pool.

We didn't catch anything decent until after noon. Then the pike action piked up. I picked up my first pike on a large spinner bait.

Here it is. One of the few pike we caught that had some type of desease on its body. YUCK!

gpool001.jpg

All the other pike were picked up on a crankbait. The pike were scattered but once you found them you'd pick up 2 or 3 at least. The pattern was humps, wind blown bays. Though most were relating to shorelines and islands with scattered weeds in 8-10 FOW.

Here is the biggest one. 29 inches.

gpool002.jpg

Notice how the tail is all scarred up? Maybe its not a desease but muskies taking swipes at these fish.

I also lost something BIG. I hook something with the flimsy BPS baitcaster rod. Its hard to set the hook because the rod has no backbone. So I set the hook and was trying to muscle the fish in. I spun around to make sure the hooks stay in it. All of a sudden the fish swims at me and the line goes slack. i guess you know what happened here......Lost the fish. I also lost 2 other fish. Another problem is I bought this crankbait off of ebay, used, and I noticed the hooks are dull....

Anyways we caught about 10-15 pike. I also caught 1 smallie on a crank bait. 1 largie on a crank bait and 3 puny largies on tubes. I've been there twice before and we usually do good on the bass. I dont know what happened. Yes, I was using large baits but I did smack a small smallie and largie.

We also went all the way down the chute to big chute. Picked up a few pike there also. Apparently the bass were biting good at the beginning of the week. <_<

We also flew down the trent severn water way...I wonder how far I can drive my boat???And is there free access to Georgian bay(severn sound)from little lake?

The weather was excellant Kawarthas weather. Especially for pics and Musky! Overcast all day and a nice wind. Oh well.... The water temps were 71 degrees in the morning the last time I looked.

Over all it was an oK day but dont think I will be going back anytime soon. I have no idea where the bass were hiding. Also I was really tired. Watched my first episode of Extreme angler and I loved it!!!Very informative. Problem is I couldn't stop thinking about tube jigging for smallies lying in bed afterwards and only slept 2 hours. :rolleyes:

Edited by Johnny Bass

Well you gave it a go and that is what counts. Theres lots of bass there my friend,you just got to get them. Nice catch on the pike bud. Lots of them there from what I seen last year.I,ll be up there in a few weeks.

TFS Johnny.

BTW ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I didnt know it was you with the shirt on.LOL