Oakville Sunday July 8 AM report

What a great start of the day today. Went to Oakville with my neighbour who has never fished for salmon and starting from 5:30am we were getting fish after fish...biggest one was about 15 Lbs. one other at 10Lbs (he fought this one on his spinning rod and got it in the boat for quick release). Must have had more then 12-13 hits with 8 fish boated....Right when we thought it'll be one of those great fishing trips the temperature went nose dive and all the way down to 47 degrees!?!?!

Waooo...talking cold....and those idiots at the weather service on both sides of the border....let me say it again....99% of the time they have no clue about the weather....all night and this morning they were calling for small craft wind warnings, waves up to 2 meters, etc. crap. Nothing further from the reality.....almost no wind/waves all morning...they were calling (and still do) for 34 degrees and it barely got to 20...So, one more time....never ever listen to the weather man.

Anyhow...after 9:30am all the fish evaporated....just two bites until 11am when we called the day...

Not a bad first trip for my neighbour and friend but we could have had the same results with only 2-3 hours fishing ;-) He kept few smaller fish for the BBQ and we let all the big ones go grow up more;-)

First time I see so sharp change in the water temperature. All the way back to the canal it was 47 degrees...we had to enter the canal to see some 50's//....wander what caused so sharp temperature decline? Only few days ago it was 69 degrees on the surface in Erieau....Any thoughts on that guys?

Few pictures with my cell phone from today:

Bright and early in the morning while temperature was still high...

Image004.jpg

George fighting his first big salmon:

Image005.jpg

And the result of the fights:

Image006.jpg

Back at his drive way with one of those he kept:

Image007.jpg

And all of the ones he kept:

Image008.jpg

Hope this temperature/water warms up some time soon...

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Good report Emil. We saw some strange temps from Port Glasgow as well. Surface temps were somewhat normal from 65-70 but the down temps fluctuated wildly... from 65* to 45* in a matter of minutes over a flat bottom. Air temp started around 66 at 7:30 and kept climbing throughout the day to over 90 by noon. The waves picked up a bit but nothing like last week! :w00t:

-Brian

You are talking about the water temp. right?

If the lake water changed you experienced an inversion, L. Ont. is known for that. One day the water at the beach can be 75, next day 40 something. The lake goes through a total flip, cold comes to the surface and the surface goes to the bottom.

At least that what you experienced sounds like. But it does seem kind of sudden.

In the summer along the Oakville and Burlington, strong westerlies will push the warmer lighter surface water offshore and it will be replaced by upwelling colder water from the bottom.

The lighter warmer water slides on top of the colder water like sheets of ice.

When this happens you either punch it 4-10 miles offshore and look for watmer surface water and the bait and salmon that foolowed it or tuck close in especially if it is later in the season and look for some shore hugging kings and browns.

With a S.E. wind the opposite will happen and push warm water in that will hit the shallows and start driving deeper.

I run the water plant in Oakville and have seen water temps fall from as hi as 24 degrees to 7 in less than 6 hours with a huge summer cold front.

It is almost like a fall turnover but only the shoreline is affected not the entire lake.

Check this sight out each day, the satellite usually passes over around 4-5 am and new data is posted by 11am. It will give you a heads up on surface temps

http://www.coastwatch.msu.edu/ontario/o1.html

Edited by bucktail

You are talking about the water temp. right?

If the lake water changed you experienced an inversion, L. Ont. is known for that. One day the water at the beach can be 75, next day 40 something. The lake goes through a total flip, cold comes to the surface and the surface goes to the bottom.

At least that what you experienced sounds like. But it does seem kind of sudden.

Yes pikehunter I was amazed at the sharp change in water temperature. And was looking for an explanation of why did is happen.

In the summer along the Oakville and Burlington, strong westerlies will push the warmer lighter surface water offshore and it will be replaced by upwelling colder water from the bottom.

The lighter warmer water slides on top of the colder water like sheets of ice.

When this happens you either punch it 4-10 miles offshore and look for watmer surface water and the bait and salmon that foolowed it or tuck close in especially if it is later in the season and look for some shore hugging kings and browns.

With a S.E. wind the opposite will happen and push warm water in that will hit the shallows and start driving deeper.

I run the water plant in Oakville and have seen water temps fall from as hi as 24 degrees to 7 in less than 6 hours with a huge summer cold front.

It is almost like a fall turnover but only the shoreline is affected not the entire lake.

Check this sight out each day, the satellite usually passes over around 4-5 am and new data is posted by 11am. It will give you a heads up on surface temps

http://www.coastwatch.msu.edu/ontario/o1.html

Bucktail,

Appreciate the detailed answer and even more the solutions you've offered. Next time I observe this same phenomenon I'll try your advise going 5-10 k out to see if I can find the warmer temps there.

And thanks for the great site. Curious to see what temperatures will they show for the Oakville area tomorrow morning.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

well,thanks to emil, now i'm looking for down riggers,so if anybodys looking to unload their stuff,let me now.........awesome fishery so close to home,again,thanks for an awesome day..now i just have to figure out how to juggle bass ,pike,perch,cohos,browns.........................