Cordova Lake ?

davew3

Hey folks, some friends, my wife and I are heading to Cordova lake north of Havelock on Saturday for a week of R&R:Gonefishing:

Does any one have some tips on this lake ? We are staying at a place on Fireroad 57 up at the north end. Tips, like, look out for rocks where?. Any shoals or weedlines.

Any info would be appreciated. I hope to have a good report with pictures to show when we get back.

Regards

cordova is a nice scenic lake pretty safe for rocks there is a nasty shoal in the narrows by the boat launch in the south end but its marked.try fishing the bay that the crowe river runs into almost sure to nab some hammer handles.ive caught muskie and large mouth there.also try around the many islands for smallies.never caught any dogs out of the lake many people say its fished out but ive always caught fish.also try up the river till u hit the rapids fish the pool below for eyes good luck enjoy yourself let us know how u made out.

i fished cordova over a couple days 2 years ago during the heat of the summer...nice lake...

spinner baits over the various weed beds produced every night. lots of prime water around most of the small islands

We caught Pike/ bass/walleye and i lost something big during one night while livebaiting for muskie/walleye

Family had friends with a cottage on that lake, so we used to go up there a couple times a year. Its been a long time since I've been there, lol. I have heard its been overfished. My dad and our friends with the cottage caught numerous musky walleye, and bass. There are some nice shallow bays, for bass. I did really well using frogs, which I caught walking along the shore. Fat raps and shad raps also caught there fair share. Assuming I still have my bearings right, near the western end of the lake, there are a couple if small islands (or should I say large rocks) and a shoal between them (don't worry about that shoal you wouldn't drive your boat between the islands/rocks anyhow), where several musky were caught. Also just south of those rocks is a large island, so if you fish around the rocks, and then make your way over the that island fishing along the east side where there are some nice weeds, you will have a good route to possibly pick up a musky. On the other side of that island, there is a bay, where we used to catch walleye, mostly on jigs and raps. If you have a sonar unit, you will notice that bottom structure is quite undulated, so you could quite easily find some pockets that will hold walleye. There used to be a fish hatchery for musky, near the boat launch. Check the Ontario Guide to eating fish, last time I looked the safe size especially for walleye was not very good. I have many fond memories of that lake, I look forward to your report.

Edited by Tackle Buster

Thanks Tackle Buster. I will be sure to print this link for a refrence guide to take with me. My main target are the walleye, musky and bass are incidental. I do ocassionally cast for pike though. The people I am going with do not get the chance to fish much so I hope with the info you folks have provided I can help some of them to get thier fish of a life time and teach some C&R.

Only hours to go :clapping: