Is your boat ready for Winter?

irishfield

Mine is away for the year. Every mechanic that has ever gone near my lower unit has always cheaped out and gone with either Dino or semi synthetic. I always use synthetic. Canadian Tire being the best source. You don't want water in those lowers boys. The condition of the gear oil speaks volumes about the condition of your lower unit. 

My E-TEC is effortlessly to winterize.....I put Evinrude's 2+4 gas treatment in the tank for the last couple of times out ...Then run the motor on Winterization Mode (less then 2 minutes)  either at the launch before pulling the boat out or in the driveway and the power head is good to go as the motor fogs itself. Take out the lower gear case screw and check for water........never any yet. DONE

OH, I also grease my Dexter Trailer Hubs until only new Lucas Red N Tacky grease comes out. Each hub almost takes a full 14 oz tube.

As far as the livewells, I just crank the boat all the way up on the trailer and they self drain........sometime I will use my compressor to blow out the feed lines and drain but nothing ever comes out after the boat sits up high for a few days.

BTW I can still fish and just rerun the Winterization Mode again and again if need be.