lake infested with goldfish

kickingfrog

On 8/17/2018 at 6:33 PM, John Bacon said:

Tropical refers to climate; not whether they are fresh or salt water.  Regardless, gold fish are not tropical by either definition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_fish

And all those years I use to visit the local aquarium store as a kid and invest in my freshwater tank system .... was told that tropical was salt water.  I got duped!  :)

11 minutes ago, TheKawarthaAngler said:

And all those years I use to visit the local aquarium store as a kid and invest in my freshwater tank system .... was told that tropical was salt water.  I got duped!  :)

Any chance that you are mixing tropical with marine?

Freshwater tropical fish[edit]

Most fish that are sold as tropical fish are freshwater species. Most species available are generally bred from fish farms in the far east[2] and Florida[3] where tropical temperatures make the commercial production more viable. Mass production of tropical fish from farms has led to many inexpensive fish available to aquarists. Tropical freshwater fish are the most popular group of fish because of the low price and ease of keeping in aquaria. Some species are difficult to breed in captivity and so are still sourced from the wild. These species are generally more expensive. Among the bred-in-captivity species, the most expensive species are arowanas and flowerhorns. Some male flowerhorns are sterile due to many cross breedings.[4]

Saltwater tropical fish[edit]

Marine fish that are sold as tropical fish are generally sourced from the wild, usually from the coral reefs around the world. This is because only a few species of marine fish have been successfully bred in captivity with any regularity. The price of marine fish coupled with the difficulty in keeping them alive in aquaria makes them less of a popular choice for aquarists to keep. However, because of the more vivid colours, patterns and behaviour of marine fish compared to freshwater fish, they are still reasonably popular. The advances in filtration technology and increase in available knowledge on how to maintain marine fish as well as the increasing number of aquarium-bred species is seeing a gradual rise in their popularity.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2018 at 8:59 PM, huzzsaba said:

wonder what the ruling would be if you were to catch one.  similar to gobies?

Careful... Unless specified in the regs this maybe qualified as allowing fish to spoil.

Also many fishermen, though well intentioned are not able to make a definative identification. I have seen walleye called musky, redhorse being called carp, Ling being called american eel, people not able to sort out bluegill from pumpkinseed, Mooneye idetified as shad. 

A call/e-mail to MNR would be the best way to get an answer here. 

On 8/17/2018 at 8:36 AM, Sterling said:

If the lake is near other waterbodies, just purge it. No sense risking those my mom hates me ruining other lakes.

I remember gramps telling stories of buying a dozen goldfish from the pet store to use as pike /muskie bait. Times have changed.

That's what they did in Montreal @ Beaver pond on Mont Royal