Lake Wabigoon Walleye, Pike and Bass

limeyangler

Hi all,

I've been pretty quiet on the board this summer, but I still browse the topics and enjoy the banter.

I got a break from guiding and my day job and hit the lake with a buddy I've not yet fished with this summer. We got out for 2 hours in the morning, and then another couple in the evening as we both had stuff to do during the day. Both little sessions were fun....lots of fish and giggles.

The fish were all in and around the weed lines, we were just pitching jigs with worms or leeches. The morning they wanted the bait moving, the evening they would hit it vertically, again, 12'-14' deep in front of or right in the walleye cabbage.

I have hardly used minnows at all this year apart from large sucker minnows up at Lac Seul, but on Wabigoon it is definitely about leeches and worms, worms slightly edging out leeches most days.

The fish have started to go deeper now, early for them on Wabigoon but its been a hot summer, will see what baits and patterns I can figure out as the transition begins.

Looking forward to getting the crappie again as they head deeper too.

• 1 year later...

I knew Craig Dawson from Birch Cliff back in the late '70's.  He was a great guide, he knew where all the big Muskies were laying on Wabigoon.  He was a legend, his life ended waaaay too soon.  I learned an enormous amount from him, knew the small things that would get those huge ones to hit.  Many great memories of the Goon before it got popular after the '84 In-Fisherman article.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, milrtimematt said:

I knew Craig Dawson from Birch Cliff back in the late '70's.  He was a great guide, he knew where all the big Muskies were laying on Wabigoon.  He was a legend, his life ended waaaay too soon.  I learned an enormous amount from him, knew the small things that would get those huge ones to hit.  Many great memories of the Goon before it got popular after the '84 In-Fisherman article.

You're dating yourself  😀 and welcome to the board 👍