Pike Trip to Little Vermillion

rrichards

The first week in June my two sons and I traveled to the Sportsman's Lodge on Little Vermillion Lake and we couldn't have been happier with the location, owners [the Gearys] or especially the fishing. We left the dock in Red Lake @ 9 in the morning and after a short flight we were fishing by @11:00.

My second and largest fish of the week hit a chartreuse buzz bait no more that 45 minutes from the dock [the first being an unbelievable 35 inches for a first fish!] and measured over 44 inches and was it fat!

[

We caught many fish in the high 30's and a quite a few over 40 -- more than expected!

We also had a classic predator tale of eat and be eaten! While fishing a jig for walleyes my son hooked a small northern -17 inches and as he was reeling in he said don't bother with the net it's small -- then right next to the boat it took a major dive and ran off about 50 yds of line -- a 38 inch pike grabbed it and swallowed it! the larger fish was not hooked and we were able to release both fish!

We have many more photos and details about the trip but we haven't had time to regale you with all of it. I will say that we did indeed meet Mepps on the dock and he graciously gave us a spinner which we put to use.

DSCN2011.JPG

We will return next year in force!!