Bringing a boat back across the border...

wask

I know someone did it recently without much hassle... I'll be back in WV around the 4th of July and was thinking of picking up a boat down that way and bringing it back.

Anyone have any advice?

Mainly concerned about what paperwork is needed as well as costs to bring it over...

thanks!

I imported a boat from Michigan several months ago and found this site very helpful:

http://boating.ncf.ca/buy-usa.html

Read the entire site several times as some steps are not necessary or have changed as outlined by some of the responses. It's a little bit of paperwork/legwork but well worth it in my case...if you have any specific questions feel free to shoot me a pm as I'd be happy to help where I can. It definitely does help when you are prepared.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

Good luck. With the dollar they way it is, you are hitting it at the right time for sure. I feel bad for our dealers, but obviously their older inventory will not reflect the current strength of the dollar and that's not your fault so take advantage and get yourself a dream.

Charles

I just brought my Princecraft over last month and it was no problems for me.. I brought it back from Wisconsin and in that state, their title is all one.. (boat /motor/trailer)..

Make sure you have a bill of sale for the boat/motor and another one for the trailer.. If it's 15 years or newer you have to pay a fee of $200.00 (+-) to bring it across.. Then you'll pay the PST/GST on the boat/motor.. They will explain what to expect in the mail and once this arrives, you take your trailer to Canadian Tire for a safety (another $200.00) and then get the paperwork done to get proper registration for the boat here..

PM me if you need more advice..

Tiz

I have been reading this board for a few years and never readed where somebody from Canada is coming to West Virginia. Are you coming to West Virginia to fish or just visit? If you are on I-79 near Weston WV, you may want to stop at Stonewall Jackson State Park and Lake and look around.

Are you looking for a new or used boat? You will want to make sure you get a Notary sign the Bill of Sale with a Notary Seal and be sure you get the boat and trailer title. You will probably have to pay Ontario Sales tax and Canadian Sales Tax on the amount paid so you can title the boat and trailer in Ontario.