Kawartha Fishing

Hello all, i just have a question to ask regarding fishing tactics in Central Ontario's fresh waters. For the past two years i have enjoyed fishing for Bass and Walleye in the Kawarthas, mainly Balsam, Sturgeon and Pigeon Lake. I started with Worms and at first was successfull in catching small bass in Balsam lake but as time progressed i failed to catch any good size ones. So i bought fake but 100% natural 3' minnows.

they worked wonders at first but just last week they failed to catch me any good fish (ie. walleye) in pigeon lake. i was just wondering if you have any good fishing tactics for these fresh waters during summer time? any help would be apreciated.

Edited by Bass Master

oh i btw i always use 12 pound line with 1/2 ounce of sinkers 9' from the hook. the baitholder hook is rather small not sure what the size is tho. but as i said i was fishing pigeon lake for 8 hours and failed to catch anything excepet a good size Bass which is not in season anyway.

Edited by Bass Master

I ran into a similar problem, when I first moved here about 6 years ago, I would often go out fishing anytime of the day that I got the chance and use tactics that I have been using for years. I could almost always put fish in the boat. It worked well enough but then I started trying to improve on what I had been using. Don't we always look for something better LOL.

I tried several different tactics and baits with mixed results but most of all I slowly started to change my style of fishing. I got to the point where I would usually just fish in the evening because that was when I could get the most action in a short period of time. Soon I would only go out about 1/2 an hour before dusk because that is just about when the bite would come on. not only that, but in looking back, I started to concentrate on just using what worked best during that evening bite.

This spring I got some help from two members of this board (ya, I know, I live here and they don't and they helped me!) Most of what they did was to open my eyes and get me to broaden my approach. I also started to fish some new areas instead of just my favorite spots. I am pleased to say that it has made a big improvement, I don't always put fish in the boat every trip but I am spending more time on the water again and I now keep about 6 rods rigged with severial varations so I can change up fast if one thing isn't producing.

I guess my suggestion would be; be flexable, do your research, keep records so you can look back and see what worked when and under what conditions.

its funny i had three different hooks in the water with different baits (minnow, plastic worm jig and white jig). none got a bite it was the worst fishing i ever had. it seems like i am losing my fishing grip i mean i could catch a walleye with worm before but now i cant catch a sunfish! i tried all sorts of jigs and no result. so it seems my biggest mistake is fishing during the afternoon. unfortunately that is the only time i can head out. ill see if i can change this course.

Next time you are coming up to Sturgeon Lake, why don't you give me a shout, I have all the charts on my computer and we can sit down and compair notes. If you have a GPS, I might be able to upload some spots for you to try. Might even be able to share an afternoon on the water.

Good on you for helping Cliff!

I'm going to play devils advocate here though.

you stated that you "had three different hooks in the water with different baits (minnow, plastic worm jig and white jig). none got a bite" I hope you were using one rod at a time?

"So i bought fake but 100% natural 3' minnows"

What size hooks are you using? Might want to downsize your minnows to something in inches :D

Sorry it's a bad day I'm not where I wanted to be right now

Cheers

Whopper

"So i bought fake but 100% natural 3' minnows"

What size hooks are you using? Might want to downsize your minnows to something in inches :D

Sorry it's a bad day I'm not where I wanted to be right now

Cheers

Whopper

We think BIG in the Kawarthas Whopper LOL!

Hope your day improved! :D