Big Rideau Lake vacation update

muskymatt

As we do every year we rented an island with a cottage for a week. This year we did it just wifey and I due to kids not around.

The week started out good last Sunday with arriving and unpacking and getting set up. No fishing was done in the boat due to timing and needing to get settled and get some food/beer into us.

Monday my wife and I headed out to see some lakers and we were in to a few that were not really pic worthy. But we were happy to see them.

Then the weather turned and it got stupidly hot, way to hot to enjoy being out in a boat melting.

From Tues to Friday it was like the fish just disappeared. We jigged, trolled all depths and we marked them in the spots they usually are, just no action. Like they had lockjaw or something.

Overnight Friday the weather pattern finally broke and we had cooler temps and rain and lo and behold the fish turned on again.

Had a old boat show on the lake and what a nice day sitting watching them go by.

Also got a 4lb smallie on a 5 wt fly rod off shore on the island. I had seen the fish come in several times over several days and I patiently worked it until it bit. On a fly I tied to boot. To say I was excited would be an understatement.

Get time solo with my wife. Here are some pics of the nicer fish.

received_10154320232068672.jpeg

20160813_115915.jpg

20160812_141937.jpg