Divers help to clean up Nipissing

kickingfrog

http://www.nugget.ca/2016/05/16/divers-do-part-to-keep-lake-clean

For the last 15 years members of the North Bay Scuba Club have been pulling couches, chairs, barbecues, lamp posts and bikes out of Lake Nipissing.

The tradition continued Sunday when six scuba divers put on their wet suits and jumped into the frigid waters near the waterfront marina.

The scoured the bottom looking for dropped items. And they didn't come up empty handed.

Wheelbarrows of garbage and rusted items were recovered.

Every spring the club removes bins of garbage from the bottom of Lake Nipissing.

They have also salvaged propellers from the water and returned them to their owners.

Brian Baldwin, a member of the club since 1973, said it's amazing what is pulled out of the lake every spring, everything from plastic snakes, pipes, bumpers, windshield wipers, shirts, bottles and sunglasses.

“We started to dive where the chief (Chief Commanda II) is parked and then we moved into the marina,” Baldwin said.

“The visibility is a little rough because the waters are murky.”

Club member Rick Taylor said the club has been contacted numerous times to assist in a variety of recoveries.

“A few years ago we were contacted and various members went diving in Lake Nipissing near the Waltonian Inn to look for a missing person. They spent days searching,” he said.

“The club has also been called to assist in finding a missing camera that fell off a drone. The camera had fallen in a quarry off Highway 11 North. The camera had dropped 70 to 80 feet and the owner was hoping we could assist.”

The club has also been called to retrieve expensive sunglasses and help put the course markers in the lake for the North Bay Canoe Club.

“We've been contacted for a variety of different things that involve underwater activity. It's our way of giving back.”

That article reads strangely.

One quote,

"They have also salvaged propellers from the water and returned them to their owners."

I didn't know I could have mine returned if I lost it. They must have War Amp tags on them or attached to a boat.

Edited by Old Ironmaker