Maple Syrup making

fisher

I finished 6 more litres on sunday. Iys slowed down around here but its still flowing ok on my bush trees. I should have enough for one more boil by end of week then taps are coming out. Im over 40 litrs finished now..... sick of it now lol

S.

I'm gonna go collect this morning to boil down what's left of approx. 220L ( I par-boiled some the other day). There is still a lot snow in the bush, and some trees are really pushing out the sap still. My goal was 15-20 L of syrup, I'm at 11, and should get at least 5-6L from this boil, so I'm in the wheelhouse and very happy with be season and how much I've learned. Everyone says it's been a great year for syrup, so hurray for that.

Funny though, some trees actually stopped running on the first real nice day, even with -2 at night. They just shut down and I don't get it. With the crazy nice temps, I feel like the trees should be winding down as of today, but I would never have thought, that with perfect temperature swings, and 2 feet of snow in places in the bush, that the trees would be shutting down. Especially with the southern guys just finishing up now, I should be 1 or 2 weeks behind.

Some of my trees were tapped before March 15th, has anyone experienced trees self-healing?? I feel like if I drill a new hole, the tree will start running again, but then again I don't want to drill a hole for nothing or risk injuring the tree. The first year I did this, I drilled the trees in early march, and when the run started, the trees were seemingly choked back, so I re-drilled a few, and pow! the sap flowed great. Any thoughts on this?

There are a ton of reasons for colour.

I just finished my last 4 litres.

DONE!!

lost count of the final tally, but somewhere around 45 litres from 46 taps. Great season but glad its over!! I still have a bunch of work to do cleaning up gear and storing it all away.

S.