Jerk Bait Rods

bigcreekdad

Broke a rod ( not on a fish) last week on the French that I used to throw jerkbaits ( primarily a Smitty Bait). I was not crazy about the rod and always felt it was a bit on the light side. Any recommendations from you jerkbait flingers out there........including lenghth and model? Thanks in advance.

I throw a bunch of similar baits as Smitty's - teddies, suicks, ...

I bought a Fig Rig 7'6" Heavy action last year and love it. If I did it again I would probably go back and by med/Hvy as with some of the smaller 6" baits I like to throw it is a bit stiff.

Not sure if JB's still carries them

i like my 6'9" st croix premiere for this. a lot of guys like the shorter rods for jerkbaits, but that would depend on your height obviously. i am 6', throw everything from suicks to gliders with it.

Edited by Raf

I use a 7'0 St. Croix Premier in medium/heavy for jerkbaits, the only ones I use are Bobbies, Suicks, Sledges and Big Daddies. I'm at the front of the boat and being under six feet tall and that much higher above the water, that extra length is really nice. I cast all my pike jerkbaits on a 6'9 Premier in the same action and it's amazing how much more work losing those 3" of blank translates into when casting, retrieving, figure 8ing, setting the hook. Exact same with my 7'6 rods vs. 8'0s. Only six inches difference is huge in so many ways. That 7'0 is also what I throw magnum Bulldawgs with and I've used it a lot trolling fast, close to the boat in shallow water. It's the heaviest action blank I use by a long shot and fun to fish with. I paid $140 for it new.