2016 Baseball thread

John Bacon

Because if Tulo is on he could be in the conversation for MVP next year. I'm not sure Bautista has it in him to be that good. And if he's asking for $150 over 5, quick math says he's looking for almost twice the salary Tulo is making.

If Bautista thinks the Jays will pay him anything north of $20 million per to close out his career he is sadly mistaken. Good luck elsewhere.

"If" is a big word. His production was no where near Donaldson's and certainly no where near Bautista's, so how can you even predict Tulo to be considered MVP material...possibly?

Bautista had the famous bat flip and smacked two HRs in game 6 vs KC. As I recall, it was down to Donaldson to bring home Pompey, but as we all know, he didn't quite bring home Pompey, yet he still won MVP.

Bautista has shown leadership in the clubhouse, produces at the plate, and can still steal bases all playing for a hometown discount. Tulo, on paper, is making more money than Bautista, despite producing less numbers.

JB has every right to ask for what he is worth and its up to Jays management to decide how serious they are with the Jays and making it into the playoffs for 2016.

I mostly agree with netminder. You never know for sure in pro sports, especially Baseball. If the Jays are serious contenders (and I think that they may be) then management might offer Jose a compromise contract. Something like 90 mil for 3 years. If we are out of the running by the trade deadline then he might be traded to a contender for some serious prospects. A lot of teams do that to build for the next run in the next few years.

Personally I hope he stays. I like his leadership style.

It's going to be an interesting season.

I get the feeling that, regardless of how the Jays do this season, Joey Bats will ask too much at the end of this year, and a team with more money then they know what to do with will give him what he wants (Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers). They'll get 2-3 more good years out of him, and when he turns 38 and can no longer hit 500 ft bombs, they will tell him to take a hike.

But hey, in the words of Princess Leia, 'If money is all you care about, that is exactly what you'll get'

• 3 weeks later...

At least they are using their main players on T.V this spring training now.

Gavin Floyd looks good so far might be mid relief or fill in starter.

Tulowitzki and Martin are looking to be clubhouse leaders.

Looking forward to this season.