Muskegon River Steelhead - Pic's & Video

solopaddler

Just before New Years Dave Orr and I were set to drift the Salmon River in NY in pontoons for a couple of days. Well horrible weather and a huge rise in water levels put the kibosh on those plans. With the desire to fish still strong and a free pass from my wife to go, we needed to figure out an alternative quickly.

I have a friend with a jet boat in Grand Rapids Michigan. I called Shawn at virtually the last minute and miraculously he had the time off and wanted to fish. Perfect!

We headed in the other direction and made the drive to Newaygo in record time. They had their own dose of foul weather over there. Just prior to our arrival they were hit with a pretty big snow and ice storm dropping the water temps into the high 30's fahrenheit. What this did was really shut the fish down, but as I always like to say "if they're there I'll catch them!".

We slowed things down and concentrated on the deeper winter holes where the fish were stacked up. Lighter fluorocarbon tippet, smaller beads in the 8mm range and most importantly fresh skein was the ticket. In colder water a glob of fresh skein will release a ton of scent compared to more mature roe and the fish seemed to like it!

We didn't set the world on fire but we caught a bunch of nice fish and shared a lot of laughs. I rarely see Dave anymore so it was pretty cool to fish with him again before he headed back to Yellowknife. My buddy Shawn is another friend I rarely see, so from that perspective alone the trip was a success!

Here's a bunch of photos and a short video highlighting the action...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cheers,  Mike