Lake St John ice

lovetofish

Make sure you check it good - I've only looked from the shore and upstairs with binoculars, haven't (and won't) venture out with this bum arm, can't take a chance like that. I'll leave the exploring to someone who can have a better chance of getting out in case the worse happens. Good Luck and be SAFE!

Michael

When your ready, give a shout. I,ll go with. I like it up there. It,s quiet.

Its getting quieter there Brian.Last time I was there they put in the wood posts and cut off a large portion of Bluebird Park.Lucky to get 4 trucks and trailers in there for soft water now and be able to turn around.Too bad one of the last small lakes in our region with a good mix of fish and sizes.Ramara obviously has an agenda and the weekend fishermen are getting the short straws.

Just a reminder to anyone out there- The Stepan side (Longford Mills) is totally closed off from any kind of access.

Kerry

Its getting quieter there Brian.Last time I was there they put in the wood posts and cut off a large portion of Bluebird Park.Lucky to get 4 trucks and trailers in there for soft water now and be able to turn around.Too bad one of the last small lakes in our region with a good mix of fish and sizes.Ramara obviously has an agenda and the weekend fishermen are getting the short straws.

Just a reminder to anyone out there- The Stepan side (Longford Mills) is totally closed off from any kind of access.

Kerry

WOW

Why the big closure? I have not seen any real bad happening there by anglers ( during the winter that is ) The odd garbage,but pick it up. I know there seems to be a few bass tournys going on there during the year. Maybe the locals are not liking this. Or maybe some people want all the walleye to them self. LOL Go ahead,you can have them. LOL

We got a notice about the launch by the Stepan plant when they closed it (not before - WHEN!)

The Stepan plant closed the Longford Mills Rd. access when they discovered it was on their property. The one oft repeated word was liabiltity, which is perfectly understandable these days even though the many many years prior to their discovery of ownership were absolutely free of any concerns. Reality is if someone got stuck launching a boat and tore out a tranny doing it they could go after Stepan for not maintaining the launch.

As for the other launch I'm not sure what's up down there.

But from what I read and hear it's happening all over the province.

Michael

I don't know, they started cleaning up Bluebird Park a couple years or so ago and making it a so called launch albeit a lousy one that was already much as it is.Then last year the launch at Stepan was closed off by Stepan.Ramara posted some nonsense about them not knowing the launch was on Stepan property which is Bull as I understood it was Domtar(original company) property years ago and Ramara was maintaining the launch for public access.Sad considering they dumped several loads of stone the previous year and did a pretty good job of smoothing out the launch area.Now ramara decides to close in the lane to Bluebird to the point where only cartoppers will be able to use it.Well I guess tooners too so you will be OK.lol.

As far as garbage the Stepan side was much better in the last couple years but maybe Stepan had enough of being the land stewart to slobs - who knows.Maybe Ramara is going the same route.Sucks as you don't need to worry about boat traffic on a small lake nearly as much-it really is a good fishing lake not a lot of cottager traffic on it.

Kerry

Sucks to hear all this. I used to fish L St. John regularly about 25 years ago both winter and summer. I know the factory you are talking about....for some reason i always thought it was a soap factory. There used to be a resort at the north west corner...run by some weird dude...pretty sure there was a launch there. Maybe this is the bluebird park people are talking about?

Sucks to hear all this. I used to fish L St. John regularly about 25 years ago both winter and summer. I know the factory you are talking about....for some reason i always thought it was a soap factory. There used to be a resort at the north west corner...run by some weird dude...pretty sure there was a launch there. Maybe this is the bluebird park people are talking about?

It,s on the south side Rog. A little grass park that we all park at ,to get out . A small tight drive lane. You can still park out at the main road and walk in if need be.

That was MyLand Trailer Park.Long gone.That whole property is being redeveloped.Last I heard was 13 houses being built in there maybe more.Nice paved road done to the original launch there.Fat chance any outsiders will get any use of that either.lol

Kerry

I believe its 32 new homes going in there - interestingly called My Rama Lakefront (hmmm...) My boss did the clearing & put the road in. It will be a private road strictly for the development as I understand it. Good thing about the trailer park that was there being gone is that it took a ton of boats off the lake, much quiter now. Sad thing was the year rounders that lost their homes.

And yes Stepan is a surfactant (soap) plant that has had a number of owners including Domtar over the years. Don't know what triggered them to determine to close the ramp based on "finding they owned the land". That'd be something to hear I think.

Didn't see anyone out there fishing today - can't see the whole lake from where I am on the north shore.

Michael

Lake rose up with all the rain - shoreline very wet/open/slushy where I am on the north shore a little east of the old trailer park. If it stays cold it should firm up - might even be good ice out a bit but I won't try walking it until the shore firms up. I'll post again friday afternoon with what little I can - with my arm being buggered up right now I can't take too many risks - as in if I do break thru I mightn't be able to get back out.

Michael