Okuma sirata

BowSlayer101

I've had the Aventa and RawII (2)and both were good for the price. I got the RawII for $189 new so what's the diff with the sirata other than a drag system? Your hand and rod are the drag so why pay more IMO when you can get NEW for the same.

After a quick search, it's just adding drag to the spool of the lower line Aventa.

Thanks for the input, i have a streamside but the startup is trash and handle positions aren't the greatest. Basically just want a reel with ok startup, I know the classic drifter is great but its 235 at least before taxes, where as I can get this one for 180 cash. Also seem a raw 2 for 175 but really dont like the looks of it lol.

Edited by BowSlayer101

Aside from the Angling Specialties Anti-reverse float reel, the drags on every other centerpin reel are just glorified adjustable clickers. The reels with drags operate just like any other centerpin out there. You have free-spool and with the flick of a switch, you have drag-mode (which usually is adjustable). Not really any different than a reel without a drag - ie. Freespool mode and clicker mode.

Also seem a raw 2 for 175 but really dont like the looks of it lol.

I actually had the looks grow on me after holding it in my hand (raw11) as I didn't care what the reel looked like as long as it did what I needed/wanted it to do. I joked it was my pumpkin.. If you care about function vs looks then go function. I don't like my Stradic FJ's looks but it's a damn nice reel... food for thought is all...

Agreed, looks aren't the most important thing but its nice to have a reel that is pleasing to the eye. Like i said, my biggest worry is startup, since i river fish in the winter quite a bit and the flow is not crazy, what i dont like about the sirata is the handle positions if i fight a fish without the drag, and of course startup!

The RawII was a great reel for the price. the start up on the one I had was fluid, not a glitch. check the used section too as I'm sure there is a few very good reels out there in your $ range or others thinking of selling what they have may PM you with what they have. Good luck either way!

No harm no foul for asking at all. Good luck with what ever you do. I kind of regret selling my Streamside rod and RwaII reel but I know the new owner will use it more than me rather then it collect dust. Be selective as you don't sound to be on a rush. I'm sure a hell or a deal will land in your lap from someone here should you be able to wait a bit... Remember, Christmas is almost here so some might sell off top gear at a great price due to gifts. Don't rush and find what you like the looks and feel off at your local retailers.

Nothing wrong with an okuma. I haven't tried many, but my son asked for a raw 2 a couple years ago because he liked the looks. Ended up he preferred fishing with one of my drifters, but the raw performed well. I have a pair of float reels with drags. I really like them, as sometimes it's a convenience when having to hustle down a steep bank to land a fish, or to get past some trees etc. or at the end of a fight while unhooking. I've never tried the okuma dragged reels, but I'm sure it would perform ok for the price.