ATV sled for ice fishing

icefisherman

OK...used my day off today to play with different options...even went and bought the Pelican 60 from CT to try it...on sale for $60 now but no runners/hitch/cover....

Here is where I am right now...

- Return the 75 to Costco and get my money back....it is simply too heavy too big too cumbersome to try to secure...on top, or in front of the ATV...tried it all...

20151211_111758_resized_zps5bhynisl.jpg

20151211_113256_resized_zpsqretu0rj.jpg

20151211_114813_resized_zpsefzsovnb.jpg

20151211_114828_resized_zps7580yj4u.jpg

in front is better option but it sits on top of the ATV dashboard and against the back truck window...it could crush either one. It is also so heavy I have hard time lifting and centering it myself (if no one around to help, as it could happen sometimes I fish or return alone). In the -20 cold when all plastics are brital and I start banging that heavy sled all over the ATV and/or rear window something will give..... Installing cargo carrier on the back of the truck and mounting the 75 to it will likely block my license plate and/or tail lights. It'll also stick on the sides.

- Kind of like Greg's idea with using the same cargo carier but on the ATV instead of the truck and get rid of the sled all together....have to think more about that and see if the space in cargo carrier is enough for all my stuff to fit in.

- And last but maybe best option - I tried fitting the 60 under the ATV....almost but not quite...so with my neighbor we did a bit of experimenting....lifted up the ATV and put two 2x4 joined together under the rear tires....bingo.....plenty of space for the 60 to slide under....then I can fill it in with all my heavy junk and carry it that way. Being under the ATV it'll go nowhere and I can double use that space. What I may do is go buy 4 pieces of 2x10 and join them together...slope the top one under angle so ATV can easily drive on top...cheap easy solution...the lift will not be that much so it should still be safe to transport the ATV on the HWY and the tail gate will remain close. By the time I equip the 60 with runners/hitch/cover it'll end up about same price ($140) as the 75 package was. Did put all my ice fishing gear in the 60...here is what it looks like...obviously loaded more than the 75 but doable space wise.

20151211_165748_resized_zpsevocsxj8.jpg

20151211_165814_resized_zpsxriolhzh.jpg

Now if I can use the cargo carrier on the ATV as per Greg's idea and it fits all my ice fishing gear from the pictures above maybe better on the long run to return both sleds and purchase the cargo carrier. It'll end up cheaper that way...just not sure of the usable space in it....Greg may PM you my friend.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

If you don't have to pull anything behind you are better off. The smaller narrow sleighs tend to flip on there sides. The cargo rack is a better idea but would need to rig up some kind of mud flap to stop snow and slush from covering your stuff. You will be able to travel faster down the lake also. If you get in deep snow and slush the sleigh can bog you down faster.