Boat Covers?

caper

Just curious if anyone has any recommendations . My cover was getting a little old and that storm that blew through the other day ripped it to shreds so now I'm looking to get a new one(a little sooner than I had hoped) :angry: .

Looking for something that's trailerable as well.

Also wondering what you guys use when you have a permanently mounted trolling motor on the front. I think that started the demise of my last cover as it was made for the boat then I added the trolling motor later and it never did fit properly. Should I get one of those quick detach plates for the motor or are there ones made that cover the trolling motor properly.

The boat is a 2002 17 1/2 Starcraft aluminum console.

Thanks,

Craig

Craig. I recently purchased a top of the line custom made cover for my boat from Boatcovers.com

The reason that I went with these guys is because I saw a friend (Guidofisherman) last summer and couldn't help but notice how perfectly his boat cover fit. I was very impressed. You pick the make, model and year of your boat. Make model, year and 2 or 4 stroke for your motor. Same with electric trolling motors. You can choose to have your motor cover attached or separate. Then you have 4 different types and qualities of materials to choose from, as well as many different colors.

Here's how mine looks. It's a little saggy in the photo because I don't have the tie down straps to pull it down tight.

DSC04173.jpg

Also, I chose the motor cover seperate.

DSC04174.jpg

As you can see, it still has the shipping tag on it.

DSC04176.jpg

I'm very impressed with boatcovers.com. About the only complaint that I have is the color that I chose. But that's my own fault. I should have gone with a navy blue. There's also many accessories to choose from. I have a vent that I have yet to install. I bought the best (most expensive) material, a vent with a telescopic aluminum pole, and a tie down strap kit for my 2001 Lund Pro Sport for about $500.00 Canadian, taxes and duties in. Highly recommended. :thumbsup_anim:

....Now that looks fantastic Dan, Lord knows you needed one. ;)

No kidding, huh? I'd be embarrassed to show anyone my old one. But now my boat is well protected as it sits unused in the yard.

caper I had my cover custom made at a local Apple Auto Glass by a buddy of mine.It fits like a glove.He even made spots for my rigger mounts.I also have a bow mount on mine but I have a quick realse and just remove it and put in the boat for trailering.My buddy said that the trolling motors are the biggest cause of torn covers while trailering.You spend a little more for a tailer made cover but in the long run its worth it.Dan 126610.JPG

Hey thanks guys, I guess my best option is to get the quick detach plate for my trolling motor and get a cover that fits just the boat and take the trolling motor off when I use the cover. My last cover was was just for the boat and as it was getting old anyway i sqeezed it over the top of the trolling motor and eventually that was the beginning of the end for it. The storm just sealed it's fate.

Craig

Just curious if anyone has any recommendations .

Hi Craig,

The trolling motor mounting plate was an easy install, but obviously the degree varies with each boat design. If you install them properly, your can get a super snug mount with the rubber lifts on carpet. I have a recommendation for you, something that I have learned just recently. Don't leave your boat at your friends place and ask them to cover the boat for you.

boat1.jpg

boat2.jpg

go for a custom cover. i like the snaps better then straps. straps tend to mark up the boat in time. when mine was done paid 2300.00 for a two piece only problem i have is snaps pop off when going 100 kms at the top of the wind shield. so i think am going to get it made in to a one piece soon. the guy that did mine has past way. but there lots out there that do a pretty good job. thats tunnel cover, bow cover and boat top with plastic side curtains and back cover. not letting me show other pictures. boat top 6 feet high on a rain day so lots of room to move around and not get wet. use Sunbrella material why when you get a rip in the material it does not fray. 100% 9.25 oz. Acrylic Sunbrella

54 Colors Available

If you've ever seen a real nice looking awning, boat

cover, or piece of patio furniture with exceptionally

vibrant color, chances are it's made with Sunbrella

fabric. These guys simply put out a great fabric and

have done so for many, many years. Their outdoor

fabrics are by far the most requested in the world.

Made totally from woven acrylic fibers, the strength

is way above average and using a special weave

allows the fabric to not only be water-resistant, it is

also very breathable. All Sunbrella fabrics are war-

ranted for a full 5 years. happy fishing see you on the water, walleyedreamer

IMG_1088.jpg

Edited by walleyedreamer

Thanks guys, walleye dreamer I really like the idea of a one piece with snaps, then I can just leave the trolling motor as is. I have to be somewhat mindful of costs right now as I want to add to my salmon euipment this year as well :D

I'll have to check around and see I guess which way to go.

Disco Phish, that's too funny..

thanks again guys for the info.. Much appreciated

Craig

Guest lundboy
go for a custom cover. i like the snaps better then straps. straps tend to mark up the boat in time. when mine was done paid 2300.00 for a two piece only problem i have is snaps pop off when going 100 kms at the top of the wind shield. so i think am going to get it made in to a one piece soon. the guy that did mine as past way. but there lots out there that do a pretty good job. thats tunnel cover, bow cover and boat top with plastic side curtains and back cover. not letting me show other pictures. boat top 6 feet high on a rain day its good lol. happy fishing see you on the water, walleyedreamer

Ask your a cover shop to replace the snaps with "directional snaps". I don't know if this is the correct name. I have them on my boat. They only snap on from one side, and you can only unsnap them by pulling from the one side. They look just like regular dome snaps, and the part that the dome snaps onto would have to be aligned so that the un-doable side of the snap is on the opposite side of the wind.

Edited by lundboy

Guest lundboy

Caper,

Be aware that whatever cover you get, that a mooring cover is not intended for towing. So if you need a cover for both, make sure you specify that you want a towing/mooring cover. It will be made of stronger material, usually "Top Gun" and will be attached with different fasteners (as I stated above) or with straps.

I have had my custom "Top Gun" cover for 7 years now and it still doesn't leak, and has been outside for in the sun for 6 summers. (Stored inside in the winter).

Specs on Top Gun fabric:

http://www.marchemcoatedfabrics.com/

Edited by lundboy