Kayaking on Rice Lake or somewhere else within an hour of Scarborough

adam lancia

Hey guys, my wife and her friend would like to do some kayaking this weekend and I was thinking Rice lake might be a good option. We only have 2 kayaks so I'd be fishing from shore while they're out on the water. Would Rice be a good option right now, given that it's going to be a very nice weekend with the potential for a lot of boat traffic...? Is there somewhere else we should go instead? There's one catch: both my wife and her friend are athletic paraplegics. Neither of them can walk so a fairly flat launching point makes life the easiest. Catchable fish from shore would be a bonus.We live in Scarborough so anything within an hour or so is good, preferably east or north rather than having to drive west through the city. Thanks in advance!!!

Try Emily PP on Pigeon Lake. They have some nice docks where you could easily launch the kayaks from,that end of the lake is well protected from winds. You could fish of the docks in the park or under the bridge,should be some bass around as well as pan fish,even might get lucky and hook a walleye. You can kayak down the river into Omemee,there will be traffic.

Edited by bowslayer

Try Emily PP on Pigeon Lake. They have some nice docks where you could easily launch the kayaks from,that end of the lake is well protected from winds. You could fish of the docks in the park or under the bridge,should be some bass around as well as pan fish,even might get lucky and hook a walleye. You can kayak down the river into Omemee,there will be traffic.

Thanks Bow, that actually looks like a pretty good option! Looking at the park on google earth, there are 6 docks near a circular road, is that a boat launch ramp?

I would launch at the mouth of the Rouge river. It's a flat launch and very beautiful. Your fishing won't be great but the kayaking is beautiful.

Jeremy, I had thought about that as well. it's certainly an option but I know the fishing is going to be more like casting...

Actually, if the weather is cooperating, go down to the Scarborough bluffs. The launch is great, it is very scenic for kayaking and the fishing in the marina is primo. Just keep an eye on the weather. If the wind picks up it could be troublesome.

Oh oh! Or frenchmans bay in Ajax. The launch on the south shore of the bay is perfect, it's weather protected and the shoreline fishing is actually really good. With the recent cold front the fish may have come in to feed. It may actually be a very productive day of shore fishing.

Edited by jeremy84

Do you have a problem coming up to Barrie? Lots of yakers here these days. Just get off the water by noon. That will all change though once school is back in. You can fish from shore and get some nice perch for dinner when you return home. Just another spot to think about.

Edited by Brian B