Carbon drag washer grease... which one?

Bondar

I see that no one has replied so I will tell you what I think.

First of all, it's rather confusing. Some guys use lithium based greases, some say no. Others say Teflon or PTFE greases which is in grease like Superlube (available at hardware stores). Others talk about mixing different greases and oil and I've always thought that mixing was a bad idea.

I use Cal's drag grease on my drags. I buy some when I get Smoooth Drag drag washers out of the States.

It is expensive for what you get, but I use it only for the washers. A little goes a long way. Gears get Hot Sauce or Abu Garcia reel grease.

Some carbon washers will run fine dry, but I like using a little grease.

I have tried Superlube on some drags but I read that it will emulsify with water so I stopped using it. But I can't say it caused me any problems. (Although Mike's Reel Repair recommends it.)

The online guys talk about using a Teflon bike grease that you would get at a bike shop or a marine grade grease that has Teflon in it.

I sometimes think that it doesn't matter for the everyday freshwater angler. Our reels are not really put to the test too hard.

If I run out of Cal's for my drags, I may try a Teflon bike grease that shouldn't be too hard to find. But it may not be that much cheaper.

Edited by Andy