Lawnmower Troubles! NF

joefish

Earlier this evening while mowing the lawn, I happened to hit the roots sticking out of the ground from the huge Maple in the back yard :o .

Of course the mower stopped dead right there and I had to pry the blade and mower off the root. Upon inspection the blade is bent(shot)!!

Problem is when I removed the blade from the machine I had trouble starting it and when it did it ran real slow like the throttle was busted or at slow speed, it has an automatic throttle so I know its not that.

Now I'm not a mechanic but I have heard of something called a bent shaft...For those out there in the know does this sound like the problem? And if so what am I looking at for repairs?

It's a fairly new machine, less than a year old...Craftsman, rear bagger, front wheel drive.

Please be gentle,I dont want to buy a new one but if thats the case then cest la vie for me...Thanks....Joe

the spark is controled by the fly wheel. Between the crank and the Flywheel their is a shear pin. This system was set up so that if the engine came to a sudden stop the momentom of the fly wheel will not snap the crank and to aid in alinement for spark for the timming . If your mower starts then in general your crank is ok and the shear pin has been damaged. Pop the flywheel off and replace the shear pin. Since you are going to the store anyhow you might pick up and extra blade so you can have a sharp blade all the time and reduse the ree and ree of the blade so the lawn can get cut faster and you can get out fishing.

Another thing a few bags of soil and a bit of sod will raise the ground around the root to reduse the blade bending possabilities. Peace Ken Ops Manager LPGC (landscape/maintinance/irriagation/Design)