French Report #2

bigcreekdad

After my aborted trip to Crane's Lochaven lodge of 2 weeks ago, I was able to jockey my schedule to get back for 4 days...last Wednesday thru Saturday, returning home yesterday. Very odd fishing and conditions. Weather changed constantly. In the 4 days, I experienced rain and bluebird skies, chilly and near hot weather, windy and non windy (both east and west), rain and sunny.

Wednesday and Thursday, I struggled to catch half a dozen each of pike and bass, but no walleye. While I did some casting for pike/muskie, I fished a lot with a basic black bucktail jig tipped with a small piece of crawler( I've been using them for 45 years) targeting walleye, but knowing anything will hit them.

Friday was on and off rain until mid afternoon, when it cleared. Light winds all day. I would have thought perfect conditions. However...nada, zilch, nothing. My 2 buddies fishing hardware for muskie/pike only caught one small pike.

Saturday was sunny, near hot, and almost calm all day. I'd have predicted lousy fishing. Instead, I was very pleasantly surprised to experience a career big walleye day. With few weeds (unusual for this time of year), I hit spot after spot with my trusty jig rig. I focused on areas that I know have weeds normally. By the end of the day, I found 2 productive walleye spots. They produced 11 walleye, only 2 of which were below 20 inches. The top 3 were 26, 27, and 28 (matching my PB) inches. During the day I also added 3 pike, and half a dozen bass. Talk about being pumped, and disappointed to have to leave yesterday morning. Oh well....I'll be back up with my 2 sons in a few weeks.

During my banner day, I'd also share with you a musky encounter, but I'm not sure if it was real. So....I'll just keep dreaming.

AS always, the folks at Cranes, and most guests, were awesome. If you are looking for an American Plan lodge, I cannot be high enough on recommending Lochaven. If you contact them, talk to Sue Crane, and tell her that John (me) said to take care of them. I have nothing to gain from this, but she has treated several of the folks I've referred there especially.